社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : 着迷英语900句(中英对照版+在线清晰视频)
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
0  发表于: 2004-05-04   

着迷英语900句(中英对照版+在线清晰视频)

        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
1  发表于: 2004-05-04   
book 1

BILL: Good morning, sir. 先生早.
MAN: Good morning. 早.
PAULO: Hello, Bill. How are you today? 喂, 比尔, 今天好吗?
BILL: Fine, thanks. Beautiful day! 很好, 谢谢您. 今天天气真好!
PAULO: Good for business. 是个做生意的好日子.
BILL: Sure is. 说的是.
PAULO: See you later. 回头见.
BILL: OK. Paulo. See you later. 好, 回头见, 保罗.
GIRL: Excuse me, sir. 先生, 请问...
BILL: Yes? 有什麽指教?
GIRL: Is this the Museum of Modern Art? 这是不是现代艺术博物馆?
BILL: No. This is the Space Building. That's the Museum over there. 不是, 这是太空大厦. 那边那座是博物馆.
GIRL: Thank you very much. 谢谢您.
BILL: You're welcome. 不客气.
PAULO: Bill! 比尔!
BILL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保罗.
PAULO: Bill, this is my sister, Joana Farias. 比尔, 这是我妹妹琼娜·法瑞斯.
BILL: Very pleased to meet you. 很高兴认识 .
PAULO: Excuse me, Bill. Your last name is...? 抱歉, 比尔. 您的姓是...?
BILL: O'Neill. 奥尼尔.
PAULO: Bill O'Neill. 比尔·奥尼尔.
JOANA: How do you do, Mr. O'Neill? 奥尼尔先生您好.
BILL: Call me Bill. 叫我比尔就可以.
WOMAN: Excuse me, sir. Is this the Museum of Modern Art? 先生, 对不起, 请问这是不是现代艺术馆?
PAULO: Good-bye, Bill. See you this afternoon. 比尔再见, 下午见.
BILL: Good-bye. A pleasure meeting you, Joana. 再见. 很高兴和您见面, 琼娜.
BILL: Now, Miss. The Museum of Modern Art is... 嗯, 小姐, 现代艺术博物馆在...
PAULO: Hello, Bill. 比尔您好.
BILL: Hi, Paulo. How are you? 嗨, 保罗, 您好吗?
PAULO: Fine, thanks. Bill, this is my mother, Mrs. Farias. Mother, Bill O'Neill. 很好, 谢谢. 比尔, 这位是家母法瑞斯太太. 妈, 这位是比尔·奥尼尔.
MRS. FARIAS: How do you do, Mr. O'Neill? 奥尼尔先生您好.
BILL: Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Farias. 很高兴认识您, 法瑞斯太太.
MRS. FARIAS: Paulo, is that Joana over there? 保罗, 那边那位是不是琼娜?
PAULO: Yes. Joana! Joana! 是的. 琼娜! 琼娜!
MRS. FARIAS: Good-bye, Mr. O'Neill. Nice to meet you. 奥尼尔先生再见, 很高兴认识您.
BILL: A pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Farias. Good night, Paulo. See you tomorrow. 很高兴认识您, 法瑞斯太太. 保罗晚安, 明天见
LAURA: Hi, Bill. I'm late again. 比尔, 您好. 我又迟到了.
BILL: Uh-huh. Fifteen minutes. 是的, 迟到了十五分钟.
LAURA: Really? 真的?
BILL: Yes, really. 嗯, 真的.
LAURA: Is my boss here? 老板来了没有?
BILL: Yes, he is. Good luck. 嗯, 来了. 祝您好运.
LAURA: Good morning, sir. 老板您早.
MR. CRAWFORD: Good morning, Miss Segura. 瑟姑拉小姐早.
LAURA: I'm sorry I'm late, sir, but this morning... 对不起, 老板, 我迟到了. 是因为今天早上...
MR. CRAWFORD: You are always late, Miss Segura. 瑟姑拉小姐, 您总是迟到.
LAURA: But, sir, this morning... 可是今天早上...
MR.CRAWFORD: Miss Segura, please be here at nine o'clock. 瑟姑拉小姐, 请九点钟到.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 老板.
BILL: Well, how's your boss this morning? 您的老板今天怎麽样?
LAURA: He's angry. "Miss Segura. Please be here at nine o'clock." 他生气了. "瑟姑拉小姐, 请您九点钟到."
BILL: Your boss is right. 您的老板没有错.
LAURA: He's a monster! 他是一个怪物!
BILL: He's right, Laura. 劳拉, 他是对的.
LAURA: OK, he's right. 好吧, 他没有错.
BILL: Here. 来这儿.
LAURA: What is it? 那是什麽?
BILL: It's an ice cream sandwich. 一个冰淇淋三明治.
LAURA: How much is it? 多少钱?
BILL: For you-free! 给您... 免费赠送!
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You're a sweetheart! 比尔, 您真好!
MR.CRAWFORD: Hi, dear. Sorry I'm late. 亲爱的, 我回来了. 今天晚了一点, 很抱歉.
MRS. CRAWFORD: That's okay, dear. Busy day? 没关系, 亲爱的, 忙吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, very. My secretary, Miss Segura... 嗯, 非常忙, 我的秘书瑟姑拉小姐...
MRS. CRAWFORD: Laura! How is she? 劳拉! 她怎麽样了?
MR. CRAWFORD: She's fine, but... 她很好, 但是...
MRS. CRAWFORD: Oh, that's good. She's very nice. 那好, 她人很好.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, she is, but she's always late. 是的, 她很好, 可是她经常迟到.
MRS. CRAWFORD: Very late? 很迟吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. Fifteen minutes is very late! 嗯, 迟到十五分钟非常的严重!
JOANA: Where's the English class? 英文课在哪上?
PAULO: On the first floor. Room 101. 在一楼, 一零一号教室.
JOANA: Are you sure? 您确定吗?
PAULO: No, I... 不, 我...
JOANA: Look, Paulo. Are those students in our class? 保罗您看, 那些学生是不是在我们的班上?
PAULO: Maybe they are. Excuse me. Good evening. Are you in English 3? 或许是. 很抱歉, 各位晚安. 请问您们是不是上第三级英文?
STUDENTS: Yes, we are. 是的, 我们是.
PAULO: What's the room number? 教室是几号?
STUDENT 1: 201. On the second floor. 二零一, 在二楼.
PAULO: Thank you. See you there. 谢谢. 到那儿见.
PAULO: Look, Joana. There's my assistant, Maria, and her husband. Hello, Maria! Over here! 琼娜, 你看, 那位就是我的助手玛利亚, 还有她的先生. 喂, 玛利亚! 在这里!
MARIA: Paulo! Joana! What a surprise! Are you here for English, too? 保罗! 琼娜! 真想不到! 您们也来上英文课吗?
PAULO AND JOANA: Yes, we are. 是的, 我们也是.
MARIA: Howard, this is Paulo Farias, the new manager, and his sister, Joana. My husband, Howard Becker. 霍华德, 这就是那新来的经理保罗·法瑞斯, 和他的妹妹琼娜. 这是我先生, 霍华德·贝克.
PAULO, JOANA, AND HOWARD: Nice to meet you. 很高兴认识您.
PAULO: Here's the room. 201. 到了, 就是这间, 二零一号教室.
TEACHER: Good evening, class. 各位同学, 晚安.
STUDENTS: Good evening. 晚安.
TEACHER: Please sit down. Here are your books, New English 900. Now, listen to this dialogue. Books closed. 请坐下. 这是您们的书. "新英语九百句". 现在请把书合起来听听这段对话.
JOANA: Paulo, I'm nervous. 保罗, 我很紧张.
PAULO: Why? 为什麽?
JOANA: I'm always nervous in school. 上课的时候我总是会紧张.
PAULO: Why? The teacher is very nice. 为什麽? 这位老师很慈祥.
JOANA: Yes, she is. But English is hard. 她是很慈祥, 可是英文太难了.
PAULO: A new language is always hard. 学一种新的语言总是很困难的.
STUDENT: Ssssh! 嘘!
JOANA: I'm sorry. 对不起.
TEACHER: Now, open your books to page 1, and repeat after me. 现在请将书打开到第一页,并跟著我念.
ARTURO: There's the plane, Miguel. Wow! It's a 747. 米盖尔, 飞机就在那里. 哇! 是架七四七!
MAMA: My little Miguel. 我的小米盖尔.
MIGUEL: Mama, I'm a man! 妈, 我已经长大了!
ARTURO: 747's are beautiful planes. 七四七客机真漂亮.
MAMA: Where is your suitcase? 你的旅行箱在哪?
MIGUEL: Right here, Mama. 就在这里, 妈.
MAMA: And your tickets? 机票呢?
MIGUEL: They're in my pocket, Mama. 在我的口袋里, 妈.
MAMA: And your passport? 护照呢?
MIGUEL: It's in my pocket, too, Mama. 护照也在我的口袋里, 妈.
MAMA: Here's a present. 来, 这是件礼物.
MIGUEL: Oh, Mama. 噢, 妈.
MAMA: Open it. 打开吧!
MIGUEL: It's beautiful. 真漂亮.
ARTURO: What is it? 那是什麽?
MIGUEL: A gold coin. 一块金币.
MAMA: It's for luck. 是带给你的好运.
MIGUEL: Thank you, Mama. 谢谢妈.
MAMA: Good-bye, Son. 再见, 孩子.
ARTURO: Good-bye, Miguel. 米盖尔再见.
MIGUEL: Good-bye Arturo. Good-bye, Mama. 阿徒若再见, 妈再见.
CARLO: Aren't you hungry? 您不饿吗?
ANNA: No, I'm not. Not really. 还好, 不怎麽饿.
CARLO: Well, it's 9:30, and I am. 哦, 已经九点半了, 我可饿了.
ANNA: There's a cafeteria on the ground floor. 在一楼有一个自助餐厅.
CARLO: But it's expensive, isn't it? 可是那家自助餐厅卖得很贵, 不是吗?
ANNA: No, it isn't. 不贵呀.
CARLO: How's the food? 菜怎麽样?
ANNA: It's not bad. 还不错.
CARLO: OK. then. Let's go to the cafeteria. 好吧, 我们就去自助餐厅吧!
CARLO: What's that in English? 那个英文怎麽讲?
ANNA: Stew. Stew.
CARLO: Spell it. 拼出来.
ANNA: S-t-e-w. S-t-e-w.
CARLO: S-t-e-w. Stew, stew. S-t-e-w. Stew, stew.
COUNTERMAN: Next, next. Who's next? 下一位, 下一位, 下一位是谁?
CARLO: Uh, I'm not ready yet, thank you. 这个... 我还没想好, 不好意思.
COUNTERMAN: Take your time. Next! 慢慢来. 下一位!
CARLO: What are those, Anna? 安娜, 那些是什麽?
ANNA: Baked potatoes. 烤的马铃薯.
COUNTERMAN: Next! 下一位!
MAN: A hamburger and french fries, please. 请给我一个汉堡, 还有一客炸薯条.
COUNTERMAN: Joe, a burger and fries. Next! 乔, 汉堡、薯条一客! 下一位!
ANNA: You're next, Carlo. 卡洛, 轮到你了.
CARLO: Uh, stew, a salad, and coffee, please. 这个..., 请给我炖肉、一客沙拉、还有咖啡.
COUNTERMAN: Here you are. The coffee's at that counter over there. Next! 这是你的, 咖啡在那边的柜台上. 下一位.
ANNA: Vegetable soup, please. 请给我蔬菜汤.
COUNTERMAN: Here you are. Next! 这是你的. 下一位!
CARLO: What's that? 那是什麽?
ANNA: Pizza. Pizza.
CARLO: No, not in Italian. What is it in English? 不, 不是用意大利文, 英文怎麽讲?
ANNA: It's "pizza" in English, too. 英文也叫 Pizza.
CARLO: Oh, really? What are those? 哦, 真的? 那些是什麽东西?
ANNA: Baked potatoes. 烤马铃薯.
CARLO: And this? 那这个呢?
ANNA: Uh... an apple. 嗯... 是 apple (苹果).
CARLO: Are you sure? 你确定吗?
ANNA: Yes, I'm sure. 当然确定.
CARLO: Spell it. 把它拼出来.
ANNA: A-p-p-l-e. A-p-p-l-e.
CARLO: A-p-p-l-e, apple. Spell "potato". A-p-p-l-e, apple, 把 potato (马铃薯) 拼出来.
ANNA: P-o-t-a-t-o. P-o-t-a-t-o.
CARLO: And... 还有这个...
ANNA: Look! Isn't that Atsuko, the woman in our class? let's sit there. Hi, Atsuko. Where's your husband? 你看! 那不是我们班上的明子吗? 我们坐那边吧. 明子你好,你的先生呢?
ATSUKO: He's in line again. He's hungry tonight. 他又去排队了, 他今天晚上很饿.
CARLO: How's the food here? 这里的菜怎麽样?
ATSUKO: It's okay. The rice isn't good, but the sandwiches are okay. 还可以, 这里的饭不好吃, 但是三明治还不错.
PEDRO: Are you writing letters again? 你又在写信了?
MIGUEL: Huh? 什麽?
PEDRO: What are you doing? 你在做什麽?
MIGUEL: I'm writing to my mother. 我在写信给我妈妈.
PEDRO: Send her my regards. 代我问候她.
MIGUEL: Where are you going? Isn't that my new sweater? 你要去哪里? 那不是我的新毛衣吗?
PEDRO: Yes. I'm going to the movies with Marta, the Colombian girl on the fourth floor. 是. 我正要与四楼那位哥伦比亚女孩子玛它去看电影.
MIGUEL: You are? What about the woman in your office? 你真要去? 那, 你的公司那位小姐呢?
PEDRO: What about her? 她怎麽样?
MIGUEL: Aren't you seeing her tonight? 你今天晚上不是要去看她的吗?
PEDRO: No, tomorrow night. 不是, 是明天晚上.
MIGUEL: And... what's her name, the girl in the bakery? 还有... 面包店那个叫什麽名字来著的女孩子?
PEDRO: Yolanda? I'm seeing her on Friday. 幼兰达? 我星期五要看她.
MIGUEL: Marta's a nice girl. 玛它是个很善良的好女孩.
PEDRO: Who? Oh, Marta. Yes, she is, isn't she? It's her birthday next Sunday. 谁? 哦, 玛它. 是的, 她很善良可不是吗? 下星期天是她的生日.
MIGUEL: I know. April 22nd. 我知道, 是四月二十二号.
PEDRO: We're going to a party. 我们将要参加一个宴会.
MIGUEL: Aren't you going to the movies? 你们不是要去看电影吗?
PEDRO: Yes. Tonight Marta and I are going to the movies. Next week, on Marta's birthday, we're going to a party. 是啊! 我和玛它今天晚上要去看电影. 在下个礼拜玛它过生日时, 我将要参加宴会.
MIGUEL: Oh. 喔!
PEDRO: Marta isn't going to the party. 玛它不参加聚会了.
MIGUEL: Oh? Why? 哦? 为什麽?
PEDRO: She's sick. 她生病了.
MIGUEL: Oh, I'm sorry. What's wrong? 噢, 真可惜, 她怎麽了?
PEDRO: A headache. 头痛.
MIGUEL: A headache? 头痛啊?
PEDRO: Yes, a headache. 对了, 头痛.
MIGUEL: Where are you going? 你要去哪?
PEDRO: To the party. 去参加聚会.
MIGUEL: You're going alone? 你一个人去吗?
PEDRO: Sure. Are you writing to your mother again? 当然. 你又要写信给你妈妈?
MIGUEL: Yes. 是的.
PEDRO: Send her my regards. Well, I'm going. Good-bye. 请代我问候她. 好了, 我要走了, 再见.
MIGUEL: Bye. See you later. 回头见.
MARTA: Who is it? 那一位?
MIGUEL: Miguel. Pedro's friend. 米盖尔, 佩德罗的朋友.
MARTA: What a surprise! Come in. 真想不到! 请进.
MIGUEL: Thank you. Here. Happy birthday. 谢谢. 这个给你, 祝你生日快乐.
MARTA: Oh, Miguel. They're beautiful! Thank you. 米盖尔, 真漂亮, 谢谢你.
MIGUEL: I'm sorry about your headache. 听说你头痛, 我真替你难过.
MARTA: Headache? Oh, yes, my headache. I'm fine now, thank you. 头痛? 噢, 是的, 我是头痛, 但现在已经好了, 谢谢你.
MIGUEL: I'm glad. Let's go to a movie, then. 我很高兴. 那麽, 我们一起去看电影, 好不好?
MARTA: Miguel! What a good idea! 米盖尔! 那真是一个好主意!
BILL: Hello! Nora? Billy? Jack? Suzy? Peggy? I'm home! 喂! 诺拉? 比利? 杰克? 苏西? 蓓姬? 我回来了!
NORA: Hi, dear. You're home early. 嗨! 亲爱的, 你回来得很早嘛!
BILL: Hi, honey. Where were you? 嗨! 甜心, 你刚才在哪里?
NORA: I was in the bathroom. 我在洗手间.
BILL: Where are the kids? 孩子们到哪里去了?
NORA: Peggy's at the library. Billy and Jack are at baseball practice. 蓓姬去图书馆, 比利和杰克练棒球去了.
BILL: And Suzy? 苏西呢?
NORA: She was here a few minutes ago. Maybe she's in her room. 她刚刚还在这里, 也许在她的房里吧!
BILL: Gee, I'm tired. 唷, 好累.
NORA: How was your day? 今天怎麽样?
BILL: Busy, but not bad. 很忙, 但是还不错.
BILLY AND JACK: Hi, Mom. Hi, Dad. 妈你好. 爸你好.
BILL: Hi, kids. How was baseball practice? 你们好, 棒球练得怎麽样?
JACK: Great! I'm hungry, Mom. 非常好. 妈, 我肚子饿了.
BILLY: Jack, we weren't great, and you know it. 杰克, 我们练得并不好, 你是知道的.
JACK: Maybe you weren't. 或许你练得不好.
BILLY: Oh, I see. You were great, but the team wasn't. 哦, 我懂了, 你练得非常好, 而全队不怎麽好.
JACK: Right. Now you understand. 对了, 你现在才晓得.
BILLY: Jack, you are a... 杰克, 你这个人...
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
2  发表于: 2004-05-04   
NORA: Dinner's almost ready. About five more minutes. 再五分钟左右, 晚餐就好了.
BILL: When's the big game? 什麽时候大赛?
BILLY: Next Saturday. This was our last practice before the game. 下星期六. 这是我们比赛前的最後一次练习.
JACK: I'm hungry. 我肚子饿了.
BILLY: Hey, Jack. Let's practice until dinner's ready. 嗨, 杰克. 我们再去练, 练到吃晚餐为止.
JACK: OK. Superman. Let's go. 好吧, 超人. 走吧!
ALI: Mama, I'm hungry. I want a hot dog. 妈, 我饿了, 我要吃热狗.
MRS. NIKZAD: Ali, be patient. 阿里, 不要急.
MR. NIKZAD: Now let's see. 我们来看
MR. NIKZAD: On this map there are three restaurants in the Plaza of Nations, 这张地图, 上面有三家餐馆在国家广场里,
MR. NIKZAD: Italian, French, and Spanish. 包括义大利风味、法国风味和西班牙风味.
MR. NIKZAD: How about Italian food for lunch? 午餐吃义大利菜怎麽样?
ALI: But, Father, I want a hot dog! 但是, 爸, 我要吃热狗嘛!
MR. NIKZAD: Ali, be quiet. I'm talking to your mother. 阿里,别吵, 我在跟你妈说话.
MRS. NIKZAD: Dear, he's only six. 亲爱的, 他才六岁嘛!
ALI: Look! An ice cream man! May I have an ice cream sandwich, please, please? I love ice cream sandwiches. 你看! 冰淇淋摊贩! 我可以吃冰淇淋三明治吗? 拜托! 我最喜欢吃冰淇淋三明治.
MR. NIKZAD: He's impossible. 真是拿他没办法.
MRS. NIKZAD: He's only a child. 他还小.
MR. NIKZAD: You may have your ice cream sandwich after lunch. 吃完午餐以後你才可以吃冰淇淋三明治.
MR. NIKZAD: Excuse me, sir. Can you help me? Where is the Italian restaurant? 对不起先生, 您能不能帮个忙? 请问义大利餐馆在哪?
BILL: It's in the Italian Pavilion, over there. On the second floor. 就在那边的义大利馆里面. 在二楼.
MR. NIKZAD: Thank you. 谢谢.
ALI: I can have an ice cream sandwich later, can't I? 待会儿我可以吃冰淇淋三明治吗?
BILL: Of course, you can. After lunch. 当然可以, 但要在吃过午餐以後.
ALI: My name's Ali. 我的名字叫阿里.
MRS. NIKZAD: Come along, Ali. The man is busy. 过来, 阿里, 这位先生很忙.
BILL: That's OK. Where are you from, Ali? 没关系, 阿里, 你从哪儿来的?
ALI: Iran. 伊朗.
BILL: Really? 真的吗?
ALI: Yes. I can speak two languages. 嗯, 我会说两种语言.
BILL: Oh? Your English is very good. 哦? 你英文说得很好.
ALI: Yes. 嗯.
MR. NIKZAD: Come, Ali! The restaurant's over here. 阿里,来, 餐馆就在这.
MRS. NIKZAD: Come along, Ali. Good-bye, sir. Thank you for your help. 快来, 阿里. 先生再见, 谢谢你的帮忙.
ALI: Bye-bye, ice cream man. 拜拜, 卖冰淇淋的先生.
BILL: Good-bye, Ali. See you after lunch. 阿里,再见, 午餐後再碰头.
WAITER: Here are your cocktails. 这是二位的鸡尾酒.
MR. CRAWFORD: Thank you. 谢谢.
WAITER: The sherry? 雪利酒是哪一位的?
MRS. CRAWFORD: For me, thank you. 我的, 谢谢.
WAITER: And the martini is for you, sir? 这杯马丁尼该是先生的吧?
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes, thank you. 是的, 谢谢.
WAITER: May I take your order now? 二位要不要点菜?
MR. CRAWFORD: Please. 好的.
WAITER: The lobster is very good today. 今天的龙虾很不错.
MR. CRAWFORD: Dear? 亲爱的, 怎麽样?
MRS. CRAWFORD: Oh, a fruit salad, please. 噢, 请给我一客水果沙拉.
WAITER: Certainly. And you, sir? 好的. 先生您呢?
MR. CRAWFORD: The lobster, and a salad, please. 请来个龙虾和沙拉.
WAITER: Thank you. Wine, sir? 好的, 先生要不要叫一点葡萄酒?
MR. CRAWFORD: Wine, dear? 亲爱的, 要不要酒?
MRS. CRAWFORD: No, not for me. 不, 我不要.
MR. CRAWFORD: No, thank you. 不要, 谢谢.
WAITER: Very good, sir. 好的, 先生.
PAULO: Hey, Joana. Why aren't you ready? It's almost 7 o'clock! 嗨, 琼娜! 你怎麽还没准备好? 快七点了!
JOANA: I'm sorry, Paulo. I'm not going. I have to study. 对不起, 保罗. 我不去了, 我要念书.
PAULO: But you can study later. Don't you want to go? 念书可以待会儿再念, 你不想去吗?
JOANA: No, not really. I don't like dinner parties. 嗯, 我不太想去, 我不喜欢宴会.
PAULO: But what can I tell the Crawfords? 那麽我怎麽跟郭佛夫妇说呢?
JOANA: Tell them I'm sick. 告诉他们说我不舒服.
PAULO: But you aren't sick. Come on, Joana. I don't like to lie. 可是你没有不舒服呀! 拜托, 琼娜, 我不喜欢撒谎.
JOANA: And I don't like to go to dinner parties. 我不喜欢参加宴会.
PAULO: Come on, Joana. You can't say "no" to the Crawfords. 琼娜帮个忙, 你不能拒绝郭佛家人的邀请.
JOANA: My English is so bad, and they don't speak Portuguese. 我的英文那麽差, 而他们又不会说葡萄牙文.
PAULO: Your English is fine. And you have a good accent. 你的英文很好, 而且你的发音很标准.
JOANA: Do you really think so? 你真的这样认为吗?
PAULO: Yes, I do. And you can practice your English at the party. 是的, 我真的这样认为. 何况你参加宴会, 又可以练习说英文.
JOANA: You're so confident. 你倒很有信心.
PAULO: Then you're coming? 这麽说, 你是要去了.
JOANA: No, Paulo. I don't want to go. 不, 保罗, 我还是不想去.
PAULO: Please, Joana. Do it for me. For my career. 琼娜, 我求你, 就算是为我好了, 为了我的前途
JOANA: Who's that? 是谁啊?
PAULO: He's here. Please, Joana, for me. The door's open! Come in! 他来了, 琼娜请帮我开开门. 门没锁, 请进!
MICHAEL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保罗.
PAULO: Hello, Michael. Do you know my sister, Joana? 嗨, 迈克尔. 你认不认识我妹妹琼娜?
MICHAEL: No, I don't. 不认识.
PAULO: Joana, I want you to meet Michael Crawford. He's driving us to his parents' party. 琼娜, 介绍一下, 这是迈克尔·郭佛. 他要载我们去参加他父母的宴会.
JOANA: How do you do? 你好.
MICHAEL: It's a pleasure to meet you Joana. 琼娜, 很高兴认识 .
PAULO: I'm ready, but Joana... 我已经准备好了, 但是琼娜她...
JOANA: Oh, Paulo. Just five more minutes. Sorry to keep you waiting. 噢, 保罗, 再五分钟就好了. 对不起, 让你等.
MICHAEL: Don't apologize. I'm happy you're coming. 不用道歉, 我很高兴你们来参加.
MR. CRAWFORD: Michael. 迈克尔.
MICHAEL: Yes, Dad. 爸爸, 什麽事?
MR. CRAWFORD: We have to talk. 我们必须谈一谈.
MICHAEL: Oh? What about? 哦? 谈什麽?
MR. CRAWFORD: The business, son. 谈有关公司的事.
MICHAEL: What about it? 公司怎麽样?
MR. CRAWFORD: It's growing. I want an assistant, and... 公司在扩大业务, 我需要一个助手, 而...
MICHAEL: And you want me. 而您需要我.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes. I'm 57. Soon... 对, 我已经五十七岁了, 没多久...
MICHAEL: Dad. You know I'm an artist. 爸爸, 你知道我是个艺术家.
MR. CRAWFORD: I don't understand. 我不了解.
MICHAEL: I know you don't. 我知道你不了解.
MR. CRAWFORD: You're 29. You're intelligent. 你二十九岁, 又很有头脑.
MICHAEL: And I want to paint. 我要画画.
MR. CRAWFORD: That's a hobby, not a career. 那是一种嗜好, 不是一种职业.
MICHAEL: What about Michelangelo or Picasso? Was it a hobby for them, too? 米开朗基罗跟毕加索呢? 画画对他们来讲也是一种嗜好吗?
MR. CRAWFORD: No. Of course not. But... 不是, 当然不是, 可是...
MICHAEL: But what? Maybe I'm not Picasso. But I have to try. Give me a year. One more year. 可是怎麽样? 我固然不是毕加索, 可是我不能不试一试. 再给我一年的时间好了, 一年.
FRIEND: Don't cry, Laura. You don't have to work there. 劳拉你不要哭, 你不一定要在那里工作.
LAURA: But I need the money! 可是我不能喝西北风! (可是我需要钱呀!)
FRIEND: Why don't you look for a new job? 你为什麽不找一份新的工作?
LAURA: Where? How? I don't know my way around New York. I feel lost. 到哪里找? 怎麽找? 我对纽约不熟, 我感到茫然.
FRIEND: What's wrong with the job, Laura? What don't you like about it? 劳拉, 那份工作哪里不好? 你是哪一点不喜欢呢?
LAURA: My boss. I don't understand him. 我的老板, 我不了解他.
FRIEND: What don't you understand? 你哪一点不了解?
LAURA: I don't think he's human. 我觉得他不是人.
FRIEND: What do you mean? 我不懂?
LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life. 对他来说, 生意就是一切, 生意就是他的生命.
FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can't be so bad. 噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那麽差劲.
LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He's a machine. 他的确那麽差劲. 他像机器一样.
LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business. 从来不说一声友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下. 什麽都没有, 就只有生意.
LAURA: He isn't human. 他没有人性.
FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don't you? 你的工作怎麽样? 你喜欢, 对不对?
LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I'm a good secretary, but... 是的, 我喜欢. 而且我知道我是个好秘书, 可 是...
FRIEND: But what? 可是怎麽样?
LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine. 我在他的眼里一文不值, 是部机器. 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!
FRIEND: Why don't you talk to him? 你为什麽不和他说呢?
LAURA: Because he's impossible. Leopards don't change their spots. I have to look for a new job. 因为他不可理喻, 本性难移. 我必须找份新工作.
PAULO: What are you doing? 你在做什麽?
JOANA: I'm writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner. 我在写一封信给郭佛家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待.
PAULO: Why don't you call them? Here people always use the phone. 为什麽不打电话? 这里的人都是用电话的.
JOANA: Well, okay. 好吧.
PAULO: Why don't we invite them to dinner? 我们为什麽不请他们来吃晚餐?
JOANA: That's a good idea. I want Mama to meet Mrs. Crawford. 这个主意很好, 我希望妈妈能认识郭佛太太.
PAULO: What about Mr. Crawford? Don't you like him? 郭佛先生呢? 你不喜欢他吗?
JOANA: He's impossible. 他不可理喻.
PAULO: Be nice to him. 你要对他好一点.
JOANA: You can be nice to him. I don't like him. 你可以对他好, 我可不喜欢他.
PAULO: Are you inviting Michael, too? 你也要请迈克尔吗?
JOANA: Of course. 当然.
PAULO: He was very happy last night. 他昨天晚上很开心.
JOANA: I was, too. 我也很开心.
PAULO: But Michael is always so quiet. And last night, he was talking and laughing. 可是迈克尔总是那麽沈默. 而昨天晚上他却有说有笑.
JOANA: What do you think about Michael? 你对迈克尔印象怎麽样?
PAULO: I think he's a great guy, but he isn't very ambitious. 我认为他人非常好, 可是不太上进.
JIM: Grandfather, don't lift that. Let me help you. 爷爷, 别提那个, 让我帮你忙.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Thank you, but... 谢谢, 但...
JIM: You have a bad back. 你的背脊骨不好.
MR. YAMAMOTO: I am old, but I'm not helpless. 我年纪大了, 可是还挺得住.
JIM: OK, Grandfather. Can I help you? 好吧, 爷爷. 能为您效劳吗?
CUSTOMER 1: Do you have any lettuce? 有没有莴苣?
JIM: Yes, sir. Over there, in the second case. 有的, 先生, 在那边, 第二个框.
CUSTOMER 1: How much is it? 怎麽卖?
JIM: Seventy-nine cents a head. 一棵七毛九.
CUSTOMER 2: Excuse me. How much are the grapes? 请问葡萄怎麽卖?
JIM: Ninety-nine cents a pound. 一磅九毛九.
CUSTOMER 2: And the oranges? 橙子呢?
JIM: They're five for a dollar. 一块钱五个.
JIM: Can I help you? 买什麽?
CUSTOMER 1: Please. I can't find the lettuce. 麻烦你一下, 我找不到莴苣.
JIM: Isn't there any in the second case? 第二个箱子里没有吗?
CUSTOMER 1: I don't think so. 好像没有.
JIM: We don't have a lot of lettuce today. How much do you need? 我们今天没有很多莴苣, 您需要多少?
CUSTOMER 1: Not much. Only one head. Oh, and a few limes. 不多, 一棵就够了. 对了, 还要几个酸橙.
JIM: The limes are over there. 酸橙在那边.
CUSTOMERR 1: There aren't many there. 那边没有几个.
JIM: Oh? How many do you need? 哦? 您要几个?
CUSTOMER 1: Oh, four or five. 大概四五个.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Is anything wrong? 有什麽问题吗?
CUSTOMER 1: Oh, hello, Mr. Yamamoto. 噢, 山本先生, 您好.
MR. YAMAMOTO: You know my name? 你知道我的名字啊?
CUSTOMER 1: Of course. Your market is famous. 当然, 您的店很有名.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Is it? 是吗?
CUSTOMER 1: There's an article about it in the paper. Here, look. "GOING TO THE FAIR? FIRST STOP: YAMAMOTO'S FRUIT AND VEGETABLE MARKET." 报纸上有一篇文章讲它. 来, 你看: "打算到博览会去吗? 第一站: 山本果菜店."
JIM: May I buy the newspaper from you? 我能向你买这份报纸吗?
CUSTOMER 1: No, take it, please. Here. 不用, 你拿去好了, 不要客气. 来.
JIM: Thank you. Now the lettuce. Here. There was a head in the case with the cabbage. 谢谢. 现在找找莴苣看, 有了, 箱子里有一棵和洋白菜放在一起.
CUSTOMER 1: How much is it? 多少钱一棵?
JIM: Seventy-nine cents. 七毛九分.
MR. YAMAMOTO: No. Give it to him for forty cents. It's the last head. 不必那麽多, 算它四毛好了, 那是最後一棵.
CUSTOMER 1: Thank you, Mr. Yamamoto. Good-bye. 谢谢您, 山本先生, 再见.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Good-bye. 再见.
JIM: OK. Who's next? Whose oranges are these? 好的, 下一位是谁? 这些是谁要的橙子?
CUSTOMER 2: They're mine. 是我要的.
JIM: And the potatoes? 马铃薯呢?
CUSTOMER 2: Hers. 是她的.
JIM: That's  $1.99, please. 一共是一元九毛九分.
ALI: Hello, ice cream man. 您好, 卖冰淇淋的.
BILL: Hello, Ali. Are you alone? 阿里,你好, 你一个人啊?
ALI: Yes. 是的.
BILL: Where are your parents? 你父母在哪里?
ALI: I don't know. 我不知道.
BILL: Really? Uh... Ali... 真的? 阿里, 这个...
ALI: May I have an ice cream sandwich, please? 我可不可以吃一个冰淇淋三明治? 可不可以?
BILL: Sure, Ali. Why don't you sit down and talk to me? 当然可以. 你为什麽不坐下来跟我聊聊天?
ALI: OK. Here's thirty-five cents. 好. 给您三毛五分钱.
BILL: Whose money is that? 那是谁的钱?
ALI: It's mine. 是我的.
BILL: It's yours? You're a rich young man! 是你的? 你这个年轻人很有钱.
ALI: Yes. 对啊!
BILL: I like your jacket, Ali. 阿里, 我很喜欢你的外套.
ALI: I don't. It's my brother's. 我不喜欢, 是我哥哥的.
BILL: Don't you like your brother? 你不喜欢你哥哥吗?
ALI: No. My father and mother like my brother. He's always good. I don't like him. 嗯, 我爸爸妈妈都喜欢哥哥. 他总是很乖, 我不喜欢他.
BILL: I like you, Ali. 阿里,我喜欢你.
ALI: May I come home with you? 我可不可以和您回家?
BILL: Look! Isn't that your mother? She's crying, Ali. 看! 那不是你的妈妈吗? 阿里, 她正在喊你.
ALI: Mommy! Mommy! Here I am! 妈! 妈! 我在这里!
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
3  发表于: 2004-05-05   
book 2

PEDRO: Where were you last night? 你昨晚上哪儿去?
MIGUEL: At the movies. 看电影.
PEDRO: Oh yeah? Which one? 哦, 真的? 哪一家?
MIGUEL: Uh, I forget. 唉, 我忘了.
PEDRO: Oh, you forget, huh? Were you with someone? What was her name? 哦, 你忘了, 嗯? 你跟谁去的? 她叫什麽名字?
MIGUEL: As a matter of fact, I was with... 事实上, 我是跟...
PEDRO: Aha! I'm never wrong. Was it anyone I know? 哈! 我没猜错. 我认识她吗?
MIGUEL: Yes, Pedro, I... 是的, 佩德罗, 我...
PEDRO: No. No. Let me guess. Hmm. It's someone I know. Was it... 不, 不, 让我猜猜看. ...嗯, 一定是我认识的人, 她是...
MIGUEL: Pedro, this isn't a game. 佩德罗, 这又不是游戏.
PEDRO: Oh, Miguel. You're always so serious. Relax! Now, who... 唷, 米盖尔, 你就是这麽认真. 轻松点! 嗯, 她是...
MIGUEL: Pedro... 佩德罗...
PEDRO: Was it the woman in the candy store? You know, the one with blond hair? 是糖果店的哪位女孩子? 你认识的那位金发小姐?
PEDRO: She's always smiling at you. 她常对你微笑.
MIGUEL: No, Pedro, it was... 不是, 佩德罗, 是...
PEDRO: Hmm, I'm usually good at these games. How about Danielle? 嗯, 我最会玩这种游戏了. 是不是丹尼尔?
MIGUEL: Shut up! 不要说了!
PEDRO: OK. OK. I give up. 好, 好, 我不猜了.
PEDRO: Who is the mystery woman? 那神秘女郎是谁?
MIGUEL: Marta. 玛它.
PEDRO: Marta! 玛它!
MIGUEL: Yes. 是的.
PEDRO: Thanks for telling me. Women! What can you do? One minute she's crazy about me, and the next minute she's going out with you. 谢谢你告诉我. 女人! 你能怎麽办? 一分钟前她还为我而疯狂, 一分钟后, 她却跟你出去了.
MIGUEL: I'm sorry, Pedro. 佩德罗, 很抱歉.
PEDRO: It's OK. 没关系,
PEDRO: It's your turn. 现在轮到你了.
MIGUEL: You're wrong. 那你就错了.
MIGUEL: We really like each other. 我们真正的互相爱慕.
PEDRO: Good luck. 祝你好运.
MIGUEL: Pedro! 佩德罗,
MIGUEL: Aren't you ever serious? 你就不能正经点吗?
PEDRO: What's happening, Tom? 汤姆, 发生了什麽事?
TOM: Man, you know that chick in the bakery? 老兄, 你认识面包店那女孩吗?
PEDRO: Yeah, Yolanda. 认识, 叫幼兰达.
TOM: No, man, not that one. Emma. 不, 老兄, 不是那个, 是爱玛.
PEDRO: Emma? 爱玛?
TOM: Yeah. She's there on weekends. You know her. She's short. 是啊! 她每个周末都在这儿, 你认识她的, 个子矮矮的.
PEDRO: What color is her hair? 她头发是什麽颜色?
TOM: It's blond. 金黄色的.
PEDRO: What color are her eyes? 她眼睛是什麽颜色?
TOM: Dark brown. 深棕色.
PEDRO: Is she pretty? 她长得漂亮吗?
TOM: Yeah, she's pretty, and she's after you. 是的, 她很漂亮, 她在追你.
PEDRO: Yeah? 是吗?
TOM: Yeah. She's always asking me about you. "How's your friend?" And I say "Which friend?" "You know, Tom. That tall, handsome guy with curly hair." 是的, 她时常问我有关你的事. "你的朋友怎麽样?" 我说 "那位朋友啊?" "你知道的, 那位高大而英俊的男孩"
TOM: And I say, "Oh yeah, him." 我说 "哦, 是他啊!"
PEDRO: Do you know her number? 你知道她的 (电话) 号码吗?
TOM: Yeah, 263... 知道, 是 263...
PEDRO: Wait a minute. OK. What is it? 请等一下, 好, 几号?
TOM: 263-7954. 263-7954
PEDRO: Thanks, buddy. 谢谢了, 朋友
JIM: He doesn't watch television! 他不看电视,
JIM: He doesn't go to the movies! He goes to the store every day. 他不看电影, 他每天去商店,
JIM: He never takes a day off! 他未曾休假过!
PEARL: Jim, calm down. 吉姆, 静下来.
JIM: He never laughs! He never gets angry! 他不曾笑过, 不曾生气过!
FRANK: That's the way he is, Jim. 他就是那样, 吉姆.
JIM: Is he happy? Is he sad? Do you know, Dad? He's your father. 他快乐吗? 悲伤吗? 爸, 你知道吗? 他是你的父亲.
FRANK: He doesn't think about happiness, Jim. 吉姆, 他不曾考虑过快乐,
FRANK: He thinks about his family and his obligations. 他只想到他的家庭与责任.
JIM: That's no way to live. 那并非生活之道.
PEARL: Maybe not, but it's his way. 也许不是, 但却是他的生活方式.
JIM: All right. It's his way. But... 好吧, 那是他的方式, 不过...
PEARL: But, what? 不过什麽?
JIM: Why doesn't he like me? 他为什麽不喜欢我?
JIM: Why does he insult me in front of the customers? 为什麽他当著顾客的面侮辱我?
PEARL: He doesn't, Jim! I don't believe it. 他不会的, 吉姆, 我不相信.
JIM: It's true, Mom. He always says, "All of the customers know the prices. Why don't you?" 确实是这样子, 妈, 他常常说 "所有的顾客都晓得价格, 为什麽你就不知道?"
PEARL: Oh, Jim, that's the way he is. 噢, 吉姆, 他就是那样子.
JIM: OK. but does he have to be that way all the time? We work together every day, but we never talk to each other. Either he changes or I quit. 好, 但是他有必要整天都这样子吗? 我们每天一起工作就从来没说过话. 不是他改变, 就是我不.
FRANK: You know, Jim, 你知道的, 吉姆,
FRANK: you are his favorite grandchild. 你是他最疼的孙子.
JIM: How do you know? 你怎麽知道?
FRANK: He doesn't say it, but I know. 他没说过, 但我明.
JIM: I give up. 我不说了.
CUSTOMER: Congratulations, Mr. Yamamoto. You're famous! 恭喜你, 山本先生, 你出名了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Famous? 出名?
CUSTOMER: Yes. That was a great article about you in the paper. 是啊? 报上有一大篇关於你的文章.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Ssh. Don't tell the vegetables. They don't know yet. 嘘! 不要跟蔬菜说, 它们还不知道呢!
CUSTOMER: What does your family think about it? 你家人觉得怎样?
MR. YAMAMOTO: They're very happy about it. It's good for business. 他们很高兴, 这有助於生意.
CUSTOMER: Where's Jim today? 吉姆今天到那里去了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: He's at the Fair. He's celebrating. 他在博览会, 他庆贺去了.
CUSTOMER: What's he celebrating? 他庆贺什麽?
MR. YAMAMOTO: My new fame and fortune. 我的新名誉和运气.
CUSTOMER: Maybe he's right. Why aren't you celebrating with him? 也许他是对的, 你为什麽没跟他一道庆祝呢?
MR. YAMAMOTO: Celebrations are for young people. 庆祝是属於年轻人的.
CUSTOMER: Well, maybe. But all of us need a day off, sometimes. Why don't you go to the Fair, Mr. Yamamoto? 嗯, 也许是, 不过, 我们大家有时候也是需要休息的. 山本先生, 你何不到博览会去呢?
MR. YAMAMOTO: I don't really like crowds. 我真不喜欢人群.
CUSTOMER: I can understand that. But you can go on Wednesdays or Thursdays. It's not so crowded then. 我能了解, 不过, 你可以在星期三或星期四去, 那时候就没有那麽拥挤了.
MR. YAMAMOTO: Yes? Well, maybe. 是吗? 好吧, 也许.
: It isn't a large room, and the furniture in it isn't expensive. 房间不大, 里面的家具也不昂贵.
: At one end of the room, there is a small window. 在房间的末尾有个小窗户.
: Next to the window is a large bed. 窗户旁边是张大床.
: In fact, the only large thing in the room is the bed. 事实上, 在这房间里唯一的大东西就是床.
: There are other things, too; a bookcase, a small night table, a desk and chair, a dresser, and clothes. 也有其他的东西: 一个书柜, 一张小床头几, 一张桌子和椅子, 化妆台, 被褥.
: There are shoes and socks under the bed; shirts, pants, and sweaters on the chair; dirty underwear and ties on the floor; suits, jackets, and a coat in the small closet. 鞋子, 袜子放在床下;衬衣, 裤子、和毛衣搭在椅上; 脏内衣和领带搁在地板上; 西装、夹克和外衣, 挂在小衣橱里.
: There are several cameras, five maybe six, and photographs of women, hundreds of them -- large ones and small ones -- on the desk and on the walls. 有几架照相机, 五架也许是六架, 有大大小小数以百计的女性照片摆在桌上或挂在墙壁上.
: The photographs are smiling, laughing, crying, standing, and sitting. 这些照片上的人有的微笑, 有的大笑, 有的哭泣, 有的站著, 有的坐著.
: One thing is very clear. Pedro likes women very, very much. 很明显的一件事实, 佩德罗非常非常喜欢女性.
: Pedro's mother doesn't like to go into his room. 佩德罗的母亲不喜欢到他的房间.
: She does, of course, because she wants to clean, but she is not happy about it. "The room is full of women. He doesn't need me." she says. 当然, 她还是会去, 因为她必须加以清理, 但是, 她是不十分愉快的, 她说 "房子里满是女人, 他根本就不需要我".
: How old is Grandfather? I don't know. He never talks about his age. 爷爷多大了? 我不知道, 他从不提他的年龄.
: He's around seventy, maybe seventy-five. 他大概在七十岁上下, 或许是七十五岁.
: Years ago he was a strong man. 多年前, 他还是个健壮的人.
: He was a farmer, a soldier, and a wrestler. 他以前是个农夫、军人与角力选手,
: He was the pride of his village. 他常以他的乡村为荣.
: Now he's getting old. He doesn't see without his glasses, and he can't lift heavy things. 现在, 他渐渐老了, 不戴眼镜便看不见东西, 他无法搬动笨重的东西,
: His hair is thin and almost all white. 他的头发稀疏而且几乎全白了,
: But he has a strong face. 倒是他有个健康的脸色.
: Grandfather loves his store. He needs the store. It's his only joy. He has friends, but they are all old. 爷爷很喜欢他的商店, 他需要这商店, 那是他唯一的享受. 他有朋友, 但他们都老了.
: Oh, yes, he has us, the family, and I guess he loves us, but he doesn't show it. 噢, 对了, 他有我们这些家人, 我猜他是爱我们的, 只是他从不表现出来.
: He lives in the past. All of his friends are living in the past. At least the past can't change. 他活在往事里, 所有他的朋友都活在往事里, 至少往事不能改变.
: They can't take it away from you. 你无法把过去拿走,
: It's always there, and you can close your eyes and see it. 它总是在那儿, 即使你闭上眼睛, 仍能看得见.
: Grandma was a kind lovely lady, and Grandfather's world is not the same without her. 奶奶是个仁慈可爱的女人, 没有她, 爷爷的世界就不一样了.
: Pedro is attractive. There's no doubt about it. Women are crazy about him. But he's spoiled. 无可置疑的, 佩德罗是很迷人的, 女孩们都为他痴狂, 但他被宠坏了.
: I don't like that. 我不赞成如此.
: It's not right to break a date. 失约是不对的,
: But, it's funny, I don't feel bad about it. 但说来奇怪, 我却不觉得那是坏事.
: I'm sure he breaks dates with women all the time. That's the way he is. 我确知他经常是对女孩子失约, 那是他的一贯作风.
: Why did I want to go to the party with him? 为什麽我要跟他去参加宴会呢?
: Why not? 为什麽不去呢?
: Why did I change my mind? 我为什麽要改变主意呢?
: A feeling. That's not an answer, I know. 是一种直觉, 我知道, 那不算是个答案.
: But my feeling was right. I didn't really want to go out with him. He didn't really care about me. 不过, 我的直觉是对的, 我并不真的要跟他出去, 他并不真的在乎我.
: I was only a date for the evening. All right, it wasn't nice, but he certainly didn't die of a broken heart. 我只是那天晚上一个约会的对象而已, 好吧, 算是不对, 但是他也没有伤心而死.
: Didn't he go to the party anyway? 他最後不是去了吗?
: Yes, I think he did. I'm sure he did. 对! 我想他去了, 我相信他去了.
: Miguel is different. He is serious and considerate. But he's young, and he doesn't know the ways of the world. And he's going home soon. 米盖尔便不同, 他正经而体贴, 只是年轻而不够世故, 而且他没事便回家,
: Oh, well. 噢, 对了!
: He isn't very handsome, but he has a beautiful smile. 他不十分英俊, 但他有个很美的微笑.
JOANA: Mama, the Crawfords are coming to dinner next Wednesday. 妈, 郭佛家人在下星期三将来我们家吃晚餐.
MRS. FARIAS: Mr. Crawford. 郭佛先生?
MRS. FARIAS: Isn't he one of Paulo's business acquaintances? 他是不是保罗的生意上的朋友之一?
JOANA: Yes. 是的.
MRS. FARIAS: I see. When are they coming? 我明白了, 他们什麽时候来啊?
JOANA: Next Wednesday, the nineteenth. 下星期三, 十九号.
MRS. FARIAS: How many people are there going to be? 一共有多少人来呢?
JOANA: Six in all. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford, Michael, Paulo, you and me. 共六位, 郭佛夫妇, 迈克尔, 保罗, 你和我.
MRS. FARIAS: What are you going to serve? 你准备做什麽呢?
JOANA: I'm not sure. 我不太确定.
MRS. FARIAS: Do they like Brazilian food? 他们喜欢巴西菜吗?
JOANA: I don't know. 我不知道.
MRS. FARIAS: We could make "feijoada." Everyone likes that. 我们可以做 "feijoada" (咸八宝饭), 每个人都喜欢这种菜的.
JOANA: I suppose so. What do you think? 我也这麽想, 您认为怎麽样?
JOANA: It isn't very fancy. 那并不很新奇.
MRS. FARIAS: Well, they're your guests. You decide. 好吧! 他们是你的客人, 你决定.
JOANA: You're right. "Feijoada" it is. 您是对的, 就做 "咸八宝饭".
MRS. FARIAS: Tell me about Michael. 告诉我一些有关迈克尔的事.
JOANA: Well, he's very tall and handsome. He has big blue eyes and long blond hair. 好啊! 他高大而英俊, 有一双大大的碧眼及长长的金黄头.
MRS. FARIAS: Oh? How long? 哦! 有多长啊?
JOANA: Down to his shoulders. It's beautiful. Like gold. 到他肩部, 很漂亮的, 就像黄金一样.
MRS. FARIAS: What does he do, dear? 他做些什麽事呢? 孩子.
JOANA: He does many things. 他做许多事,
JOANA: He's very creative. 他很有创造力,
JOANA: He's a great painter, really. He also gives free English lessons to the people in his neighborhood. 事实上他是个画家, 他还免费帮他的邻居上英文课.
MRS. FARIAS: I see. 我懂了.
JOANA: You're going to like him. Everybody does. 你将会喜欢他的, 每个人都喜欢他.
MRS. FARIAS: Where does he live? 他住在哪儿啊?
JOANA: He has a small apartment on 88th Street. 他有间小公寓, 在八十八街.
MRS. FARIAS: A small apartment. On 88th Street. 小公寓, 在八十八街.
JOANA: Don't worry, Mama. 不要操心, 妈,
JOANA: I'm not going to marry him tomorrow. 我不会明天就嫁给他的.
: Michael. Hello. How nice of you to call! 迈克尔, 喂, 你打电话来太好了!
: This Friday night? What a good idea! 这个星期五晚上? 多好的主意!
: Yes. I'm sure Paulo can come. He doesn't work Friday nights. 是的, 我确定保罗会去, 他星期五晚上不工作.
: Can I help? I could bake a cake. 要我帮忙吗? 我可以烘蛋糕.
: Don't be silly. I like to bake, and I love parties. 不要傻了, 我喜欢烘蛋糕和参加宴会.
: Can I see some of your paintings? 我能参观你的一些画吗?
: Yes, really. I paint, too. 是的, 真的吗? 我也画画.
: I never talk about it. I'm not very good. In fact, my paintings are pretty bad. 我从不说它, 我画得不好, 事实上, 我画得很差.
: No. I don't have any with me. They're all home in Brazil. 不, 那些画并没在我身边, 它们全在巴西的家里.
: Oh, really? Perhaps some afternoon I could go to art class with you. 噢, 真的吗? 或许那天下午, 我能够跟你一起上艺术课.
: Fine. See you Friday, then. 很好, 星期五见.
: Friday, at 8:30. Thank you. Good night. 星期五, 八点半, 谢谢你, 晚安.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
4  发表于: 2004-05-05   
NORA: Good morning, sir. May I help you? 早安, 先生, 我能效劳吗?
CUSTOMER: It's our anniversary today. I'm looking for the same flowers as the ones in her wedding bouquet. 今天是我们结婚年, 我要找 (买) 一些和内人在婚礼上所拿的相同的花束.
NORA: What do they look like? 是什麽样子的?
CUSTOMER: White. They're white. 白色的, 白色的花束.
NORA: How tall are they? 有多高啊?
CUSTOMER: They're short, I guess. About the same height as those short flowers over there. 我想, 它是矮矮的, 差不多跟那边的花朵一样高.
NORA: Do they look like roses? 它像玫瑰?
CUSTOMER: No. They look like little bells. 不像, 它们看起来像个小钟形.
NORA: Oh -- lilies of the valley. No, I'm sorry. 哦 -- 铃兰, 很抱歉,
NORA: We're out of them at the moment. 这个时候我们没有铃兰.
CUSTOMER: Oh, that's too bad. 哎呀, 那太糟了.
NORA: What about roses? 买些玫瑰怎麽样?
CUSTOMER: OK. 好吧!
CUSTOMER: How many do you suggest? 你认为需要多少?
NORA: As many as you like, sir. They're beautiful, aren't they? 你需要多少就买多少, 先生. 它们很漂亮, 不是吗?
CUSTOMER: Yes, they are. 是的, 很漂亮.
NORA: Hi, Peggy. Hi, Suzy. 嗨, 蓓姬、苏西,
NORA: What a nice surprise! 真是巧极了.
PEGGY: Hi, Mom. We're on our way home from school. 嗨! 妈, 我们刚下课正要回家.
NORA: Excuse me a minute, girls. 等一下, 孩子们.
NORA: Jane, can you take care of this gentleman? Now, how was school today? 珍, 你能来招呼这位男士吗? 好了, 今天在学校怎麽样?
SUZY: The same as always. 老样子,
PEGGY: Oh. There was one thing. 哦, 有件新鲜事.
NORA: Oh? 哦?
SUZY: Jack was in a big fight. 杰克跟人家打架.
NORA: Is he all right? 他还好吧?
PEGGY: I think so. But he's in the principal's office. 我想是没事, 不过他在校长室.
NORA: Oh, no! 噢, 真糟糕!
SUZY: Why are Billy and Jack so different from each other? 为什麽比利与杰克会有这麽大的不同呢?
NORA: I don't know, dear. I really don't. 我不知道, 孩子, 我真不知道.
SUZY: When are you coming home, Mom? 妈, 您何时回家?
NORA: It's Friday. The store is open until 9:00 tonight. 星期五, 这家店营业到九点.
SUZY: Gee, you're as bad as Dad. 唉! 你跟爸爸一样糟糕.
NORA: What do you mean, dear? 孩子, 这话是什麽意思?
SUZY: You're never home, either. 你也从不回家.
: Of course, sir. We send flowers anywhere in the country. 当然, 先生, 在这个地区里任何地方我们都送的.
: Well, tulips are very pretty. 嗯, 郁金香是很漂亮的.
: They look like... uh... well... cups. 看起来像是... 嗯... 杯子.
: Oh, she likes roses. Then send her roses. 噢, 她喜欢玫瑰, 那就送玫瑰给她.
: No, in fact, tulips aren't as expensive as roses this year. 不, 实际上, 今年的郁金香不像玫瑰那麽昂贵.
: Fine. How many tulips do you want to order? 好, 你要订多少郁金香?
: Certainly. For  $10.00 I can send sixteen. 当然了, 十块钱可以送十六朵.
: Yes. We usually include a short note with the flowers. 是的, 我们都在花中夹一便条的.
: "To Mom. Happy Birthday." Yes, that's fine. Your mother's name and address, please? "送给妈妈, 祝您生日快乐", 是的, 那很好, 你母亲的名字和地址, 能告诉我吗?
: Mrs. G. Crawford. 143-29 Park Avenue. Is that C-R-A-W-F-O-R-D? 郭佛太太, 公园大道一四三之 29 号, 是不是 C-R-A-W-F-O-R-D ?
: Thank you. And your name and address, please? 谢谢你, 请告诉我你的名字和地址.
: Michael Crawford. 342 88th Street. Thank you very much. Have a nice day, sir. 迈克尔郭佛, 八十八街三四二号, 谢谢您的惠顾, 祝您有个愉快的日子, 先生.
BILL: Hi, Ali. Where are your parents today? 嗨, 阿里, 你爸妈今天到哪儿去了?
ALI: They're eating in the Italian restaurant again. 他们又上意大利餐馆去了.
ALI: I like hot dogs more than spaghetti. 我喜欢热狗甚於意大利,
ALI: And ice cream is the most delicious thing in the world. 然而冰淇淋又是世界上最美味可口的东西了.
ALI: It's not fair. 那是不公平的.
BILL: What isn't fair, Ali? 什麽不公平, 阿里?
ALI: They can eat as much spaghetti as they want. 他们高兴吃多少条就能吃多少,
ALI: But I can't eat as many hot dogs and ice cream sandwiches as I want. Do you have children? 但我想吃多少热狗和冰淇淋三明治却不能. 你有孩子吗?
BILL: I have two boys and two girls, 我有两男两女,
BILL: but they are all older than you. 不过他们都比你大.
ALI: How old are the boys? 男孩有多大?
BILL: Bill, Jr., the oldest, is seventeen. Jack is sixteen. 小比尔最大, 他十七岁, 杰克是十六岁.
ALI: Do they play baseball? 他们打棒球吗?
BILL: They sure do. Do you play baseball? 当然了, 你也打棒球吗?
ALI: Not yet. But I'm going to learn soon. I'm almost seven years old. 还没. 不过, 我很快会去学的, 我差不多七岁了.
MR. NIKZAD: Ali! I'm sorry, sir. Is my son bothering you again? 阿里! 很抱歉, 先生, 我的孩子又来打扰你了吗?
BILL: Not at all. He's a fine boy. 那里, 他是个乖巧的孩子.
MRS. NIKZAD: Thank you, Mr... 谢谢你, 先生...
BILL: O'Neill. 奥尼尔.
ALI: Father, Mr. O'Neill's sons play baseball. 爸, 奥尼尔先生的孩子都打棒球.
MR. NIKZAD: That's nice, Ali. 阿里, 那很好啊!
ALI: I want to learn, too. 我也要学,
ALI: But nobody wants to teach me. 但是没人教我.
MR. NIKZAD: You're too young, Ali. 阿里, 你太小了.
ALI: You always say that. 你老是那麽说,
ALI: I'm pretty big for my age. 就年龄来说, 我已经很大了.
BILL: Excuse me, there's a big crowd over there. Business before pleasure. 对不起先生, 那边有一大群人, 我先去做生意了.
MR. NIKZAD: Certainly. 那当然, 当然.
ALI: Good-bye, Mr. O'Neill. 再见, 奥尼尔先生.
BILL: Bye, Ali. See you soon. 再见, 阿里, 待会见.
ALI: You know, Father, he isn't really an ice cream man. He's just pretending. He's really a secret agent. 爸, 你知道吗? 他不是真的冰淇淋小贩, 他是伪装的, 其实他是个密探.
MRS. NIKZAD: What an imagination you have, Ali! 阿里, 你真会想象!
MR. NIKZAD: More imagination than sense. 想象超过常识.
MRS. NIKZAD: Don't spoil it for him, dear. Childhood is the happiest time of life. 不要责怪他, 亲爱的, 童年是一生中最快乐的时期.
: Hello. 哈.
: Hi, Bill. 嗨! 比尔.
: Oh, no. But it's Saturday night! 噢, 不, 今天是末晚上!
: Yes, I know. But we never see each other these days. The children never see you, either. 是的, 我知道, 但这几天我们彼此都没见面, 孩子也没见过你.
: And what about dinner? It's almost ready. 那晚餐怎麽样? 我都快弄好了.
: I know. That's the way it is. I'm just disappointed. 我知道, 就是这样, 我只是很失望.
: Around 9:00? Well, OK. Wait. Why don't you let me type your report? Then you could come home now. 九点左右? 好罢, 等等, 何不将你的报告让我来打字? 那麽你现在就可以回来了.
: No. We don't need any. We have lots of paper at home. 不, 我们不需要, 家里还有很多纸.
: OK. Good. See you around 8:15. Bye, dear. 好罢, 八点十五分再见, 拜拜, 亲爱的.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, step into my office, please. 瑟姑拉小姐,
MR. CRAWFORD: Bring your steno pad. 请带著速记簿到我的办公室来!
MR. CRAWFORD: To Mr. James C. Wilson, President, United Printing Corp. 给联合印刷公司董事长詹姆斯·威尔逊先生,
MR. CRAWFORD: You can look up the address in the files. 你可在档案中找到他的地址.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: "Dear Sir: Please send this office 10,000 copies of the World's Fair brochure. Thank you. Sincerely," and sign my name. "威尔逊先生, 请寄一万份世界博览会手册, 谢谢您" 然後签我的名字.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Send that out this morning, Ms. Segura. 今天早上要寄出, 瑟姑拉小姐.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: It's Mrs. Crawford's birthday. 今天是郭佛太太的生日,
MR. CRAWFORD: I want to buy her some flowers. 我要买些花给她,
MR. CRAWFORD: Call up the florist and tell him to send my wife a dozen roses. 打个电话给花商, 请他送一打玫瑰给我太太.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的. 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, 瑟姑拉小姐,
MR. CRAWFORD: here is yesterday's letter to Bissell Industries. 这是昨天给比塞尔实业公司的信,
MR. CRAWFORD: There is an error in the second paragraph. Please be more careful, Ms. Segura. 在第二段中有个错误, 请多加小心, 瑟姑拉小姐.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Any questions? 有什麽问题吗?
LAURA: Only one. 只有一个.
MR. CRAWFORD: Yes? 什麽事?
LAURA: When do you want to look for a new secretary? 您什麽时候要另外找一个秘书?
MR. CRAWFORD: I don't understand, Ms. Segura. We don't need another secretary. 我不明白你的意思, 瑟姑拉小姐, 我们并不需要另外新的秘书啊?
LAURA: I am giving you two weeks' notice, Mr. Crawford. 我给您两个星期去物色, 郭佛先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Are you resigning from the firm, Ms. Segura? 瑟姑拉小姐, 你真的要辞职吗?
LAURA: Yes, Mr. Crawford. I'm sure you can find someone better than I. 是的, 郭佛先生, 我相信您一定能找到比我更行的秘书.
MR. CRAWFORD: Very well, Ms. Segura. Put an ad for a secretary in tomorrow's paper. 好吧, 瑟姑拉小姐, 在明天报上刊个徵求秘书的广告.
LAURA: Yes, Mr. Crawford. 是的, 郭佛先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: This is very inconvenient. 真是麻烦.
LAURA: I'm sure it is. 我相信是很麻烦.
SALESMAN: Can I help you? 我能效劳吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: Yes. I want to paint my son's bedroom. I think sky blue is pretty color. 是的, 我要粉刷我孩子的卧室, 我想天蓝色的颜色很棒.
SALESMAN: How big is the room? 房间有多大?
MRS. NIKZAD: Not very big. 不很大.
SALESMAN: How many gallons of paint do you want? 你要多少加仑的油漆呢?
MRS. NIKZAD: I don't know. 我也不晓得.
SALESMAN: Look, why don't you tell your painter to buy the paint? 嘿, 你为什麽不告诉你的油漆匠去买油漆呢?
MRS. NIKZAD: I am the painter. 我就是油漆匠.
SALESMAN: Well, then. Do you know the size of the room? 哦, 那麽, 你知道房间的尺寸吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: No. I'm sorry, I don't. 不, 很抱歉, 我不知道.
SALESMAN: Is it larger or smaller than this store? 它比这个商店大或小?
MRS. NIKZAD: It's about half the size of this store. 大约是这个店的一半大小.
SALESMAN: You need two gallons. 你需要两加仑.
MRS. NIKZAD: Now what do I do? 现在我该怎麽办?
SALESMAN: Madam, why don't you get a painter? 夫人, 你为什麽不找个油漆匠?
MRS. NIKZAD: My son and I want to paint the room together. 我儿子要跟我一起粉刷房间.
SALESMAN: All right. Here. Read these instructions. Do you want the paint now? 好, 这里, 看看这些指导说明, 你现在就要油漆吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: Yes, please. 是的.
SALESMAN: Two gallons of sky blue. That's  $21.39. 两加仑天蓝色的共是二十一元元角九分.
MRS. NIKZAD: Thank you. What time do you close? 谢谢, 你什麽时候关店?
SALESMAN: We're open till 6:30 tonight. 我们今晚营业到六点卅分.
: I think I'm falling in love with him. Oh, what am I going to do? 我想我正与他谈恋爱了, 噢, 我怎麽办?
: Could I be his wife? 我能成为他的妻子吗?
: How long could I live in a little apartment on a poor street? 我能在这穷巷小屋住多久呢?
: He's an artist. He doesn't think about money, but I do. 他是个艺术家, 他不在乎钱的问题. 但是我在乎,
: I like life's little luxuries. 我喜欢一点奢华的生活,
: I like to buy pretty things -- new dresses and jewelry. 我喜欢买一些漂亮的东西 -- 新的衣服, 珠宝等.
: I could live without them, I guess, but... do I want to? 没有这些固然可以生活, 我想; 但是我希望这样子吗?
: I guess I could always find a job. I could work in an office or I could teach Portuguese. 我想我随时可以找到工作, 我可以在公司里工作, 或教教葡萄牙文.
: Or could I? 我能吗?
: Maybe Mama is right. Maybe I couldn't live on 88th Street. 或许妈妈是对的, 说不定我无法在八十八街过下去,
: It's a long way from home in Brazil. 从这里到巴西太远了,
: Paulo wants to stay here, but Mama is going to go home soon. 保罗希望留在这里, 只是妈就要回家了.
: She misses Papa and her life there. 她怀念爸爸和在那里的生活,
: And what about me? 而我呢?
: We could live six months here and six months there. 我们可以在这里住个半年, 在那边住半年,
: No. That's ridiculous. 不行, 那太荒唐了,
: What am I going to do? 我该怎麽办呢?
: I love his eyes. Who knows? 我喜欢他的见解, 谁知道?
: We all grow and change. Anything could happen. 我们都会长大而改变的, 任何事情都可能发生.
: It's not easy to be the mother of four children, take care of a house, and go to work. 当个有四个孩子, 又要照料家务, 又要出去工作的母亲是不简单的,
: I'm not complaining, though. Really I'm not. 可是我不抱怨. 真的, 我不会抱怨.
: Bill has a good job, and he always works overtime to make as much as he can. But we can always use some extra money. 比尔有好工作, 他时常尽可能的加班, 而我们也时常需要额外的钱,
: Four children eat a lot of food. 四个孩子要吃的东西是很多的.
: I didn't go to college. What could I do? 我没读大学, 我能做什麽呢?
: I was a mother at nineteen. 我在十九岁的时候当了妈妈.
: I didn't see much of the world then. 因此我对这世界看到的并不多.
: The children are all in school now, and I want to do something new. 现在孩子们都上学去了, 我希望做些新的事情,
: I'm not old yet. I want to live and learn and grow as much as I can. 我还不老, 我要尽我所能的生活、学习和成长.
: This is my first job in eighteen years, and I love it. 这是我十八年以来的第一个工作. 我喜欢它,
: I love to work with flowers. I want to learn about the business, too. 我喜欢跟花一起工作, 我也要学习有关做生意的事.
: Someday, I'm going to own a shop like this one. 有一天, 我自己将会拥有一间像这样的店.
: You know my brother, Ali, but you don't know me. 你知道我弟弟阿里, 但不认识我,
: I am Hussein M. Nikzad. I'm nine and a half. 我是胡辛 M·尼克萨德, 我九岁半,
: I am very strong for my age, and I'm very smart in school. 我很健壮, 在学校里也相当聪明,
: All my teachers say so. 我所有的老师都这麽说.
: I do my homework, and I pay attention to my teachers. 我做我的功课, 也听我的老师们的话,
: I like books. I read all the time. 我喜欢书, 所有的时间都在看书,
: I can add, subtract, multiply and divide. 我能加、减、乘、除,
: I can read and write English and Farsi, 我能读与写英文和波斯语.
: and I know all about the heroes of my country. 我晓得我的国家所有英雄的事,
: I am going to be famous, too. 我也要成为著名的人物,
: I am going to build cities and roads and bridges and everything. 我打算建造城市、道路、桥梁, 以及一切的一切.
: Ali is a strange kid. 阿里是个奇怪的孩子,
: He thinks everyone is a Martian and ice cream vendors are secret agents. 他认为每一个人都是火星人, 以为贩卖冰淇淋的人是密探.
: Why does he eat ice cream all the time? 为什麽他老是吃冰淇淋?
: Sometimes I think Father is right. Ali acts like a child all the time. 有时候我认为父亲是对的, 阿里的行为始终像个小孩,
: He never could sit still. 从来不曾安静下来过,
: He doesn't listen to anyone. 他不听任何人的话,
: He's forgetting Farsi, too. 他也逐渐忘了波斯语.
: What is he going to do next year in Iran? 明年在伊朗他将做些什麽呢?
: Ali hates me. It's not my fault. 阿里憎恨我, 那并非我的错,
: He hates me because I'm bigger and smarter, and I'm Father's favorite. 他恨我是因为我长得比较大也比较聪明, 而且我是爸爸所疼爱的,
: Father doesn't say that, of course, but I know it. 爸虽然不说, 但是我了解,
: And Ali knows it, too. 当然, 阿里他也知道.
: But Ali's okay, really. 不过阿里真的也还好,
: Sure, sometimes he does crazy things, 当然, 他有时候会做些疯狂的事来,
: but he's not a bad kid. 但是他不是个坏孩子.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
5  发表于: 2004-05-08   
book 3

LAURA: Hi, Bill. 嗨, 比尔你好.
BILL: Hi, Laura. How are you today? 嗨, 罗拉. 你今天怎么样?
LAURA: Awful. I resigned. 糟透了! 我辞职了.
BILL: You resigned? Why? 你辞职了? 为什么?
BILL: You liked the job, didn't you? 你不是蛮喜欢那份工作吗?
LAURA: Yes and no. I never liked my boss. You know that. 喜欢也不喜欢. 我始终都不喜欢我的老板, 这个你是知道的.
BILL: Yes. But it was an interesting job, wasn't it? 对, 可是那份工作不是蛮有趣的吗?
LAURA: Yes. 是的.
LAURA: We handled all the advertising and promotion for the Fair. 我们负责万博会所有的广告与宣传促销.
BILL: Well, what are you going to do now? 那么, 你现在打算怎么样.
LAURA: Find another job. Do you need a secretary? 找新工作. 你需不需要一个秘书?
LAURA: I type sixty words a minute. 我一分钟可以打六十个字.
BILL: No, not today. But did you look in the newspaper? 今天不需要. 不过你可曾在报纸上找过?
LAURA: Yes. Nobody needs a secretary this week. 找过了, 这个礼拜那里都不缺秘书.
BILL: What about the employment office here at the Fair? 万博会的人事处如何呢?
BILL: Did you check with them? 你到那边问过没有?
LAURA: No, I didn't. 没有, 我没有.
BILL: Why not? 为什么不去呢?
LAURA: Because they aren't going to help me. 因为他们不会帮助我的.
LAURA: I resigned from a good job! 我已经辞掉一份很好的工作!
BILL: Maybe you're wrong. 也许你错了.
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You need recommendations to get a good job. Mr. Crawford isn't going to give me a recommendation. 噢, 比尔, 要找一份好工作, 非有以前雇主的推荐不可. 郭佛先生不会帮我写推荐函的.
BILL: Look. 我跟你讲,
BILL: Mr. Crawford is difficult to work for, right? 替郭佛先生作事很艰难, 你说是不是?
LAURA: Right. 是.
BILL: Well, maybe the employment office knows it, too. 也许人事处里也知道这个情形.
LAURA: Is that possible? 有那个可能吗?
BILL: Of course, it's possible! Maybe you're his seventh secretary in two years! 当然有可能! 说不定你是他两年来第七任秘书!
LAURA: Maybe. Thanks, Bill. 也许吧. 谢谢你, 比尔.
BILL: Don't mention it. Good luck. 不足挂齿, 祝你成功!
MRS.CRAWFORD: Hi, dear. How was your day? 嗨, 亲爱的, 你回来啦! 今天过得好吗?
MR.CRAWFORD: Oh, the same. 噢, 老样子.
MRS.CRAWFORD: How's your secretary? Does she come in on time now? 你那个秘书怎么样? 她最近准时上班吗?
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes... well, in fact, she resigned today. 是的... 嗯, 事实上, 她今天已辞职了.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Laura? Resigned? Why? 罗拉? 辞职了? 为什么?
MR.CRAWFORD: I don't know. Maybe because I criticized her typing. 我不知道. 也许是因为我批评她打字技术不好.
MRS.CRAWFORD: She's a good typist, isn't she? 她是一位好打字员, 对不对?
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes, usually. 是, 通常是打得不错.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Well? 怎么讲?
MR.CRAWFORD: "Usually" isn't "always." "通常" 是不等于 "经常" 的.
MRS.CRAWFORD: You are too critical, dear. 你太挑剔了, 亲爱的!
MR.CRAWFORD: Please. It's my business. 拜托, 那是我的事情.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Don't talk to me that way. And don't forget, it was my father's business. You're too critical of everything and everyone; of me, of the boys... 不要这样对我说话,你也不要忘了,公司本来是我爸爸的.你对每一个人,每一件事物都太挑剔, 包括我, 我们的儿子...
MR.CRAWFORD: Jane, please, don't bother me. 珍, 我求你不要烦我.
MRS.CRAWFORD: Look, Gary, I live here, too. They are my sons, too. 贾瑞你听我讲, 这个家也是我的, 儿子也是我的...
MR.CRAWFORD: I'm tired, and I don't want to talk about it. 我很累, 我不想讨论这些.
MIGUEL: What a mess! 这里乱透了!
PEDRO: You sound like my mother. Watch out! 你讲话像我妈妈一样. 小心啊!
PEDRO: Don't step on that sweater. 别踩了那件毛衣.
MIGUEL: Hey, that's my sweater. 嘿, 这件毛衣是我的!
PEDRO: Uh, yes, I guess it is. 这个... 好像是.
MIGUEL: You're a slob, Pedro, but you're a great photographer. 你是个大垃圾虫, 佩德罗. 可是, 你却也是个第一流的摄影师.
MIGUEL: Some of these pictures could be in magazines. 这些照片可以登到杂志上去.
PEDRO: Thanks, Miguel. 谢谢你, 米盖尔.
MIGUEL: Hey, here's an old picture of you. You had a mustache! 嘿, 这里有一张你以前的照片. 你留了小胡子!
PEDRO: Let me see. 给我看.
MIGUEL: You're standing with a guy with long blond hair. He looks American. 你跟一个金黄长发的家伙站在一起, 他看起来好像是美国人.
PEDRO: Yes, he is. He was my first good friend here. A very creative guy. 是的, 他是我来这边以后的第一个好朋友, 是一个很有艺术创作力的年轻人.
PEDRO: I met him at the art school downtown. 我是在市中区那间艺术学校认识他的.
MIGUEL: What's his name? You never talk about him. 他叫什么名字? 你从来没提过他.
PEDRO: His name's Michael. 他叫麦可,
PEDRO: He was in love with this woman. 他跟这位小姐相恋,
PEDRO: He wanted to marry her. She was beautiful, but crazy. 他想娶她. 她很漂亮, 但是有点神经兮兮的.
MIGUEL: What do you mean "crazy?" 你说她神经兮兮的, 是什么意思?
PEDRO: One day, she came to my door. She didn't love Michael anymore. She fell in love with me. 有一天 她来到我家门口. 她不再爱麦可了, 她爱上了我.
MIGUEL: Just like that? 就那样吗?
PEDRO: Well, sure, I flirted with her, but I flirt with everyone! 这个... 当然罗, 我有逗过她, 可是我谁都逗.
MIGUEL: What happened? 结果怎么样?
PEDRO: You know I can't resist a pretty face. 你是知道的, 我没办法抗拒漂亮女孩子的魔力.
MIGUEL: And Michael? What did he do? 那么麦可呢? 他的反应怎么样?
PEDRO: He never spoke to me again. About a year ago I tried to call him, but he hung up on me. 他跟我断绝来往了. 大概一年前我给他打电话, 可是被他挂断了.
MIGUEL: What happened to the girl? 那个女孩怎么样了?
PEDRO: We saw each other a few times. 我们彼此见了几次面,
PEDRO: Then she moved to Florida. 然后她搬到佛罗里达去了.
PEDRO: She has a sister there. Things like that don't last long. 她有一个姊姊住那里. 像那种事情是不持久的.
BILL: Hi, Paulo. 嗨, 保罗.
PAULO: Hi, Bill. How's business? 嗨, 比尔, 生意怎么样?
BILL: Fine. How's yours? 不错, 你呢?
PAULO: Coming along. We're opening some new exhibition soon. Oh, by the way, we're looking for a secretary. 还好, 我们有一个新展览会快要开幕了, 哦, 对了, 我们正要请一位秘书.
BILL: Really? I know a good one. She wants a new job. 真的? 我认识一位好秘书, 她需要一个新的工作.
PAULO: Where can I find her? 她在哪里?
BILL: I can give her your number. I see her every day. 我可以给她你的电话号码, 我每天都看到她.
PAULO: OK. Here's my card. Tell her to call me. Oh, what's her name? 好, 这是我的名片, 叫她打电话给我, 对了, 她叫什么名字?
BILL: Laura Segura. 罗拉·瑟姑拉.
PAULO: Segura... Isn't she Mr. Crawford's secretary? 瑟姑拉... 她不是郭佛先生的秘书吗?
BILL: She was. She resigned. 那是以前, 她辞职了.
PAULO: I don't think I can hire her. My office does a lot of work with Mr. Crawford's office. It could be embarrassing. 我恐怕不能用她. 我的公司跟郭佛先生的公司有生意来往, 那将会很尴尬的.
BILL: I see. That's too bad. 我了解, 那真可惜.
PAULO: Yes, it is. But perhaps we can find her a job in another department. 是的, 不过, 我们也许可以在其他部门帮她找到工作.
BILL: Thanks, Paulo. 谢谢, 保罗.
PAULO: Sure, Bill. 不客气, 比尔.
: Dear Mama, 亲爱的妈妈:
: There is so much to tell you, Mama. 我要和您说的事情太多.
: Everything here seems different, but, at the same time, everything seems the same. 这里的一切, 都好像不一样. 可是, 在同样的时间, 每件事情又似乎是相同的.
: Yesterday was a good example. 昨天就是一个很好的例子.
: At 7:00 the alarm clock rang and woke us up. 闹钟在七点钟时叫醒了我们,
: I turned on the radio, and we listened to the news. 我打开了收音机, 我们收听新闻报导.
: But the news is in English, not Spanish. 可是, 那是英语新闻, 不是西班牙文.
: For breakfast, we have coffee and bread, but the coffee and bread don't taste the same as they do at home. 我们早餐吃面包喝咖啡, 可是这里的面包、咖啡跟家里所吃的味道却不一样.
: Even the water tastes different! 就连自来水的味道都不一样呢!
: At 9:00 I left the house. 我九点钟出门.
: At night, after dinner, we talked and watched television. 晚上吃晚餐以后我们聊天看电视.
: The movies here are the same: war stories, westerns, and mysteries. 此地的影片千篇一律: 有战争片、西部片和侦探片.
: At about 9:30 one of Pedro's friends stopped in to say hello. 大概九点半左右, 佩德罗的一个朋友进来寒喧了一下,
: At about 11:00 Pedro called each one of his twenty girlfriends to say good night and told each one a different story. 大约在十一点左右, 佩德罗给他二十个女朋友一个一个的打电话道晚安, 并分别说了二十个不同的故事给她们听.
: I like Pedro more and more. 我越来越喜欢佩德罗.
: I learn a little more English every day. 我每天都学到了一些英语,
: Yesterday, I learned the word "embarrassed." 我昨天学会了 "尴尬" 这个字.
: love, Miguel 儿, 米盖尔上
: PS You asked for a photograph. Here it is. 再启: 您向我要的照片随函附上一张.
: The girl next to me is Marta. She lives upstairs. 在我旁边那个女孩子叫玛它, 她住在我的楼上.
: My father died the year I was born. 我爸爸在我出世的那年去世了,
: Life was difficult in Spain in those years. 那个年头, 在西班牙谋生很不容易.
: My mother decided to move to Mexico because people said things were easier there. And there was no reason to stay in Barcelona. 我妈妈因为听说在墨西哥生活比较容易, 所以决定搬到那边去, 而认为没有理由留在巴塞隆纳.
: It broke my mother's heart to leave, but it also broke her heart to stay. 我妈妈不舍得走, 可是又不愿留下.
: She sold her diamond ring, the only thing she had, and bought two tickets to Mexico. 她把她唯一的财产钻戒卖掉, 而买了两张到墨西哥的船票.
: There, in Mexico, I forgot yesterday's miseries. 到了墨西哥以后, 我把过去的困苦境遇都忘掉,
: After all, I was only a child. 毕竟当时我还只是个小孩子.
: But our new life was not like my mother's golden dreams. 可是我们的新生活并没有我妈妈想像的那么美.
: I grew up and had to go to work. 我长大后, 就必须去作事,
: I was very unhappy. 我非常的不快乐.
: We were poor and alone in the world. 在这个世界上我们既穷又孤单.
: At eighteen, I married an older man. 十八岁那年, 我嫁给一个年纪比较大的男人.
: He had a little money, and I spent a few happy years with him. 他有一点钱, 我和他过了几年快乐的日子,
: I got new clothes and lived in a fine house. 我买了很多新衣服, 并住在一栋很漂亮的房子里.
: But I didn't love him, and I think he knew it, too. 不过, 我并不爱他, 我想他也知道.
: It wasn't his fault. He wasn't a bad husband. 这不是他的过失, 他并不是一个不好的丈夫,
: He wanted a quiet life and a big family. 他希望日子过得很平静, 及子女生得很多.
: I didn't. We fought about it and made each other miserable. 而我不要, 我们为了这件事而吵架, 弄得彼此都很苦闷.
: Finally we got a divorce. After that I came to New York. 最后我们离婚了, 离婚后我就到纽约来了.
: My dear husband, Francisco, 我亲爱的丈夫法兰西斯哥:
: I miss you, my dear, but we are happy and healthy, and the children send their love. 亲爱的, 我真想念你, 我们都很愉快很健康. 孩子们都向你问好.
: Paulo is busy every minute. 保罗时时刻刻的忙着,
: He is just like you, so sensible, maybe too sensible. 他跟你一样, 脚踏实地. 也许他过度脚踏实地,
: He thinks about business all the time. 一天到晚想着生意的事情,
: He doesn't have any real friends here. 在这里他没有什么真正的朋友.
: Joana is growing up before my eyes. 琼娜在我眼前迅速长大,
: Every day she grows more mature, less shy, and more confident. 她一天比一天成熟, 没有以前害羞, 比以前更有自信.
: She's getting serious about art again, so she's going to take some courses at one of the schools here. 她又对艺术认真起来, 因此打算在此地的一所学校进修.
: She's talented, but not very patient. She has a lot to learn. 她有天分, 但没有多大耐心, 还有许多事情有待学习.
: I am enjoying the Fair, but most of all, I am enjoying the children. 我很喜欢到万博会玩, 但是, 带给我最大的乐趣, 还是孩子们,
: I am very proud of them. 我真以他们为傲.
: At first, Joana was nervous about her English, but now she is almost fluent. 琼娜当初耽心她的英文不够好, 可是现在几乎和美国人一样流利了.
: As a matter of fact, she is teaching me! 事实上, 她还教我呢!
: So, my dear, how are you? 亲爱的, 你还好吗?
: How are things at home? I miss you. 家里的情形怎么样? 我真想念你,
: I read and reread all your letters. 你的信, 我都看了又看.
: Your devoted wife, 你挚爱的妻
: Alicia 爱丽霞上
MR.NIKZAD: What are we going to do with Ali? 对于阿里我们将怎么做?
MRS.NIKZAD: What do you mean, dear? He's only six. 你是什么意思? 他才六岁.
MR.NIKZAD: He'll be seven in a few weeks. It's time to think about his future. 他再过几个礼拜就七岁了, 该为他的前途着想了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Oh, dear. 哦, 亲爱的.
MR.NIKZAD: You spoil him, Zahra. 萨拉, 你太宠他了.
MRS.NIKZAD: And you're too strict. You're always criticizing him. 但你对他太严了, 你总是对他吹毛求疵.
MR.NIKZAD: Because he never behaves. Why can't Ali be more like Hussein. 因为他从不守规矩, 他为什么不能像郝仙那样?
MRS.NIKZAD: But dear, they are different people. They'll never behave the same way. 但是, 亲爱的, 他们俩个是不同的啊! 他们的举止完全不一样.
MR.NIKZAD: We take him to the Fair, and what does he do? He runs away! 我们带他去万博会, 而他做什么呢? 他跑掉了!
MRS.NIKZAD: He's a very independent child. 他是个很独立的孩子.
MR.NIKZAD: I'll never understand him. And what an imagination! He thinks ice cream vendors are secret agents. He talks to animals and toys. 我永远不会了解他. 他多么有幻想力! 竟然把冰淇淋摊贩视为密探, 还对着动物和玩具讲话.
MRS.NIKZAD: All children are like that, dear. 所有的小孩子都是那样子的, 亲爱的.
MR.NIKZAD: No, Zahra, all children are not like that. 不, 萨拉, 并不是每一个孩子都是这样子,
MR.NIKZAD: You can't make excuses for him forever. 你不能永远为他找藉口.
MR.NIKZAD: Last year he misbehaved because he didn't understand English. 去年他不乖是因为他不懂英文,
MR.NIKZAD: This year you won't be able to use that excuse. 今年你不能再用那个理由了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Then we'll have to find a school for children like Ali. 那么我们必须找一所可以收容像阿里这样孩子的学校.
MR.NIKZAD: Where will you find a school for stubborn children with bad manners? 哪里有学校可给又顽强又不懂礼貌的孩子去念?
MR.NIKZAD: He won't listen to anybody. 他是谁的话都不听的.
MRS.NIKZAD: He's not stubborn; he's independent. But don't worry. I'll look for a school for creative children. 他并不顽强, 他是独立. 你放心好了, 我将会找到一所给创作力特别强的儿童念的学校.
MR.NIKZAD: Won't you ever believe me? 你永远不相信我吗?
MR.NIKZAD: The boy needs discipline. 他需要的是管教.
MRS.NIKZAD: Let me try, Simon. Maybe I can find the right school. 塞门, 让我试试吧. 也许我可以找到适合的学校.
MR.NIKZAD: All right, Zahra. But next year, back in Iran, things will be different. 好的, 萨拉. 可是明年 可是明年回到伊朗以后, 事情将会不一样的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Be patient, dear. 你要有耐心, 亲爱的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali will make you proud one day. 有朝一日, 阿里会让你感到骄傲的.
MR.NIKZAD: Where is Ali now? 阿里现在在哪里?
MRS.NIKZAD: Watching TV. 他在看电视.
MR.NIKZAD: Are you sure? It's very quiet in there. 你确定吗? 里面一点声音也没有.
MRS.NIKZAD: What are you doing, Ali? 你在作什么? 阿里
ALI: Ssh. You have to be very quiet! 嘘, 安静些!
MRS.NIKZAD: Why? What are you doing? 为什么? 你在作什么?
ALI: Can't you see, Mommy? The Martians are landing. 难道你没注意到吗? 火星人着陆了.
MRS.NIKZAD: Oh. Well, we're eating dinner. 哦, 我们要吃饭了.
ALI: OK. 好.
MRS.NIKZAD: Aren't you coming? 你不来吃吗?
ALI: No, I'm not. 是, 我不要吃.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, your father will be very angry. 阿里, 你爸爸会非常生气的.
ALI: No, he won't. He'll be happy. 不会的, 他会很高兴.
MRS.NIKZAD: Why? 为什么?
ALI: I ruin his dinner. He always says, "Ali, why do you always ruin my dinner?" 我破坏他的晚餐, 他老是说: "阿里, 你为什么老是破坏我的晚餐?"
MRS.NIKZAD: He won't say that tonight. 他今天晚上不会这样说.
ALI: Then he says, "Why can't you be like Hussein?" I hate Hussein! I don't want to be like him. 然后他说: u你为什么不能像赫仙那样?」 我恨赫仙! 我不要像他那样!
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, that's a terrible thing to say about your brother. 阿里, 你这样说你哥哥真是可怕!
ALI: But it's true. 那是真的.
MRS.NIKZAD: Ali, my little Martian, I won't enjoy my dinner without you. I'll miss you. Won't you come to the table and eat with me? 阿里, 我的小火星人. 你不在我身边,我吃晚餐就没有乐趣. 我将会想念你的, 请你到餐桌跟我一起吃, 好不好?
ALI: OK. But remember, it's only for you. 好, 可是要记住, 我是为了你而已.
MRS.NIKZAD: I'll remember. It'll be our secret. 我会记住, 那将是我们两个人的秘密.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Father? 爸?
MR.YAMAMOTO: Yes? 什么事?
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Wouldn't you like to take a walk to the Fair today? 您今天有兴趣到万博会去走走吗?
MR.YAMAMOTO: It's Saturday. I have to be in the store. 今天是礼拜六, 我必须到店里去.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: I'm sure Jim can take care of the store. 我相信吉姆可以照料店里的事.
MR.YAMAMOTO: I don't like crowds. 我不喜欢人多的地方.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: I know, Father, but it's early. There won't be many people there at this hour. 我知道, 爸爸, 现在还早呢. 这个时候不会有很多人的.
MR.YAMAMOTO: I'd rather go on a weekday. 我宁愿平常日子去,
MR.YAMAMOTO: Saturday is our busy day at the store. 礼拜六是店里最忙的一天.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: Take a one-day vacation. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 休一天假吧, 我敢保证你会觉得很好玩.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
6  发表于: 2004-05-08   
MR.YAMAMOTO: I don't know, Frank. 我真怀疑, 法兰克.
FRANK YAMAMOTO: People come from around the world to see the Fair. You're lucky. You live right around the corner. 人们从世界各地到万博会来参观, 您很幸运, 您刚好住在附近.
MR.YAMAMOTO: What's the weather like today? 今天天气怎么样?
FRANK: It's a beautiful spring day. It would be good for you to spend a day in the sun. 是个美丽的春天. 花一天的时间晒晒太阳对您是很有益的.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Can I get to the Fair by bus? 我可以搭公车到万博会吗?
FRANK: It's not far. Take a taxi. It won't be expensive. 并不远, 坐计程车去, 不会太贵的.
MR.YAMAMOTO: No. I'll take the bus. 不, 我要坐公车.
FRANK: OK. Take the number 20. It goes right to the Fair. 好吧! 坐二十路, 它直开到万博会.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Where is my good coat? 我那件好的大衣在哪里?
FRANK: In the hall closet. But you won't need a coat today. 在走廊的壁橱里, 可是你今天不必穿大衣,
FRANK: The sun is shining, and it's going to get warm. 外面是晴天, 而且会逐渐变暖的.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Are you sure it's not going to rain? 你确定不会下雨吗?
FRANK: I don't think so, but anything is possible. Your raincoat is in the hall closet, too. 我不这么认为, 可是天气是无法预料的, 您的雨衣也放在走廊的壁橱里.
MR.YAMAMOTO: You know, Frank, I'm not as young as I was. 我跟你讲, 法兰克, 我老了.
FRANK: No one is, Father. 我们都老了, 爸爸.
MR.YAMAMOTO: You're right. Help me with my coat, Frank. 你讲得对, 帮我将大衣穿上. 法兰克,
FRANK: Have a good time, Father. 祝您玩得很愉快, 爸.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Thank you, Son. 谢谢你, 儿子.
PEDRO: Excuse me. How much is the bus? 对不起, 请问巴士车票多少钱?
WOMAN: Fifty cents. 五毛钱.
PEDRO: Will the driver change a  $10 bill? 十块钱的钞票司机可以找得开吗?
WOMAN: I don't think so. Oh, here's the bus. 我想不会的, 噢, 车来了.
WOMAN: Oh, no! 噢! 真糟糕.
BUS DRIVER: What's the matter, lady? 你怎么了? 女士.
WOMAN: Look at me! 你看我!
BUS DRIVER: You look beautiful to me. 你看起来很漂亮呀!
WOMAN: Look at my dress! It's ruined! 你看我的衣服! 完蛋了!
BUS DRIVER: I'm sorry, miss. 对不起, 小姐.
WOMAN: Is that all you can say? 'I'm sorry, miss.' What about my dress? 你就只能说这个吗? " 对不起, 小姐. " 我的衣服怎么办?
PEDRO: What are you going to do about this? 这事你该怎么办?
BUS DRIVER: Who are you? 你是谁?
PEDRO: Who do you think I am? 你以为我是谁?
BUS DRIVER: Look, mister. I'm sorry. It's raining. The streets are wet. 瞧, 先生, 我很抱歉. 外面下着雨, 街道都是湿的.
PEDRO: Let's sit down, dear. 我们坐吧, 女士.
BUS DRIVER: Hey, mister! You forgot to pay! 嘿, 先生! 你忘了付车钱!
PEDRO: I did not forget. Is the bus company going to pay for a new dress? 我没有忘记付钱, 汽车公司将付新衣服的钱吗?
BUS DRIVER: Forget it! Forget it! Sit down. 算了! 算了! 你坐吧.
WOMAN: Very clever. Do you ever pay for the bus? 真聪明, 你经常免费坐车吗?
PEDRO: By the way, my name is... 对了, 我的名字是...
PAULO: And that, Mr. Crawford, is our plan. We'd like your agency to handle the publicity. 郭佛先生, 我们的计划就是这样子. 我们愿意由你的代理商去负责宣传.
MR.CRAWFORD: Good. 很好,
MR.CRAWFORD: Now let me make sure I have all the facts. 让我来确定一下我所知道的整个事情.
PAULO: Certainly. 请便.
MR.CRAWFORD: The Brazilian Pavilion is planning a competition for young artists. 巴西馆计划为年轻的艺术家们举办一次比赛.
PAULO: Yes, and by the way, the Pavilion will display many of the entries during the final month of the competition. 对. 噢, 对了, 在比赛的最后一个月, 很多应徵的作品要在巴西馆展览出来.
MR.CRAWFORD: I see. Now, the entries must all be oil paintings, correct? 好的. 参加比赛的作品都必须是油画, 对不对?
PAULO: Yes. 对.
MR.CRAWFORD: Is there an age limit for the participants? 对参加比赛的人, 有没有年龄上的限制?
PAULO: We were thinking of thirty or thirty-five. But you must know more about this than I do. 我们考虑以三十岁或三十五岁为限. 不过, 关于这方面的事, 您知道的比我多,
PAULO: You have more experience. 您的经验比较丰富.
MR.CRAWFORD: I think thirty is the right limit. How old are you, Paulo? May I call you Paulo? 我认为三十岁最好, 保罗, 你几岁了? 我可以叫你保罗吗?
PAULO: Of course, sir. Twenty-nine. 当然可以, 我二十九岁.
MR.CRAWFORD: You're the same age as my son Michael. 你跟我儿子麦可一样大.
PAULO: Yes. 喔.
MR.CRAWFORD: Forgive me. Where were we? 对不起, 我们刚才讲到哪里?
PAULO: We were discussing the rules of the competition. 我们刚才在讨论比赛的规则.
MR.CRAWFORD: Yes. Now, you mentioned a grant. 对了, 你提到了奖助金,
MR.CRAWFORD: What kind of a grant were you thinking of? 你们考虑什么样的奖助金?
PAULO: We were going to offer a scholarship, a living allowance, and air fare to and from Brazil. What do you think of that idea? 我们打算发给一份奖学金, 还有生活费津贴 及到巴西的来回飞机票, 你认为这构想怎么样?
MR.CRAWFORD: Excellent. 非常好,
MR.CRAWFORD: What about the deadline for the entries. 参加的截止日期呢?
MR.CRAWFORD: Six months from today? 从今天起六个月?
PAULO: Yes. They have to enter by November 1. 是的, 他们必须在十一月一号以前报名,
PAULO: We'll announce the winner the following month. 而我们将在下一个月宣布得奖者.
MR.CRAWFORD: Good. Well, I can have sample brochures ready for you in a week. 好. 我有小册子的样本, 一个星期之内可以给你.
PAULO: Fine. 很好.
MR.CRAWFORD: Then, I'll see you a week from today. Is 2:00 convenient? 那么, 一个礼拜以后见. 两点钟, 方不方便?
PAULO: Perfect. 再好没有.
MR. CRAWFORD: Ms. Segura, Mr. Farias is leaving now. Good-bye, Paulo. 瑟姑拉小姐, 法瑞斯先生现在要走了, 保罗再见.
PAULO: Good-bye, Mr. Crawford. And we'll see you and Mrs. Crawford for dinner on Wednesday. 郭佛先生再见, 礼拜三吃晚餐的时候, 我们就可以跟您和郭佛太太见面了.
MR. CRAWFORD: We're looking forward to it. 我们正期待着.
MR. CRAWFORD: Were there any calls? 有没有电话?
LAURA: Yes. Your wife called fifteen minutes ago. 有. 夫人十五分钟以前打电话来.
MR. CRAWFORD: Did she leave a message? 有没有留话?
LAURA: No, sir. And your next appointment is here. Mr. Robert Gardner. 没有, 下一个人已经来了, 罗巴特·迦德纳先生.
MR. CRAWFORD: Send him in, please. 请叫他进来.
LAURA: Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
LAURA: Your coat, Mr. Farias. 法瑞斯先生, 您的大衣.
PAULO: Thank you, Ms. Segura, Good day. 谢谢你, 瑟姑拉小姐, 再见.
LAURA: Good day, sir. 再见, 先生.
LAURA: As you see, Claire, the office is very formal. 如你所看到的, 这里是非常规规矩矩的.
CLAIRE: Yes, 嗯,
CLAIRE: I realized that when Mr. Crawford interviewed me. 郭佛先生面试的时候我就领会到了.
LAURA: Well, let's go on. The files are easy. We keep our files in alphabetical order. 好了, 我们继续吧. 档案很简单, 我们这里的档案按照字母顺序排列.
CLAIRE: Who handles the accounts? 谁管帐?
LAURA: We have an accountant. 我们请到一位会计师,
LAURA: He comes in once a month and goes over the books. 他一个月来查一次帐.
CLAIRE: Laura, may I ask you a question? 罗拉, 我有一件事想问你一下, 可以吗?
LAURA: Of course. 当然可以.
CLAIRE: May I ask why you're leaving? 我想问你为什么辞职?
LAURA: I'd rather not say. 我宁可不说.
CLAIRE: I understand. I'm sorry. 我了解, 对不起.
LAURA: No, don't apologize. Where were we? Oh, yes. 没关系, 不用道歉. 刚才我们讲到哪里了? 哦, 对了,
LAURA: Well, we keep the office supplies in this cabinet-paper, typewrite ribbons, pads, pencils, pens, envelopes, etc. 公司的文具都放在这个柜子里: 纸张、 打字机色带、 便笺 (印色) 、 铅笔、 钢笔、 信封等等.
LAURA: Do you have any questions so far? 到此为止有没有问题?
CLAIRE: Yes. How often do you work late? 有, 你时常工作得很晚吗?
LAURA: Hardly ever. 几乎没有过,
LAURA: Mr. Crawford doesn't like to pay overtime. 郭佛先生不喜欢付加班费.
CLAIRE: Good. Because I don't know if I can stay late. I go to school at night. 很好, 因为我不知道我是否能留得很晚, 我晚上要上课.
LAURA: What are you studying? 你念什么?
CLAIRE: Law. when I was a girl, I wanted to be a lawyer. And I'm going to be one. 法律, 我小的时候 就想作律师, 而我即将就是了.
LAURA: I admire you. 我真佩服你,
LAURA: It must be difficult to work while you're going to school. 一边上班一边读书一定很辛苦.
CLAIRE: It is, but it's what I want to do. 苦虽苦, 不过那正是我希望做的.
LAURA: Good luck. Oh, I almost forgot. We publish a World's Fair newsletter. Henry Leeds is the editor. His office is across the hall. I think that's it. 祝好运. 哦, 我几乎忘记了, 我们出版一份万国博览会期刊, 编辑是里德斯. 他的办公室在走廊对面, 我想那就是.
CLAIRE: Uh - where's the ladies' room? 嗯... 女用盥洗室在哪里?
LAURA: Oh, around the corner, second door on the left. 噢, 转弯 左边第二个门.
CLAIRE: I want to thank you for all your help. 我必须谢谢你帮我这么多的忙.
LAURA: I was happy to do it. Here are the keys. After 5:00 today, it's all yours. One more thing, be on time! He gets angry when you're late. 我很高兴能够帮你忙, 钥匙给你. 今天五点后 全交给你了, 还有一件事, 要准时来! 当你迟到的时候他会生气的.
AA: What am I doing here? What's wrong with this office? Everyone's so quiet. Nobody talks, nobody smiles. 我在这里做什么? 这家公司是怎么搞的? 所有的人都那么沈默, 没有人说话, 没有人微笑.
AA: Oh well, yesterday was only the first day, and things can change. In any case, it won't last forever. 不要想了, 昨天只是第一天; 情况总可以改变. 无论如何, 这是暂时性的.
AA: All right. It's 8:30. Where is everybody? 好了, 八点半了, 人都到哪里去了?
AA: You're early, Claire. Relax. Look around. I wonder where the newsletter file is. 克蕾尔, 你来早了, 不要紧张, 熟悉环境, 我不知道那个期刊档案在哪里?
CLAIRE: -- Good morning, Mr. Crawford. 您早. -- 郭佛先生
MR.CRAWFORD: -- Good morning, Ms... Lindstrom. You're here early. Excellent. -- 早安, 林斯顿小姐, 你来早了, 很好.
AA: I don't know when I'm going find the time to study. I can study during my lunch hour, I guess. 我不知道什么时候才能抽空念书. 大概可以在吃午餐的时候念书吧! 我想
AA: Here they come. 8:55 exactly. 他们来了, 八点五十五分正.
HENRY: -- Good morning, Claire. My name is Henry. We met yesterday. I edit the newsletter. -- 克蕾尔早, 我叫亨利, 我们昨天见过面的. 期刊是我编辑的.
CLAIRE: -- Yes, of course I remember. Good morning, Henry. -- 对, 我当然记得, 亨利您早.
: Dear Miguel, 亲爱的米盖尔:
: Who is this girl, Marta, in the photograph? 照片上面那个女孩子玛它是谁?
: she is very pretty. 她真漂亮.
: Oh, my poor Miguel! 噢, 我可怜的米盖尔!
: I know you are lonely, but you are so young! 我知道你很寂寞, 但是, 你还很年轻!
: Don't ruin your life. 不要浪费你的生命.
: You have to continue your studies or you'll never find a good job. 你一定要继续读书, 否则的话永远找不到好的工作.
: I'm glad you are having a good time, but we worry about you. 我很高兴你玩得很开心, 不过, 我们替你担心,
: We don't even know who she is. 连她是谁, 我们都不知道.
: Is she a nice girl? 她是一个好女孩子吗?
: Is she from a good family? 她有个好家世吗?
: Can you tell me what her father does? 你能不能告诉我她爸爸做什么事?
: You won't do anything foolish, will you, Miguel? 米盖尔, 你可不能作傻事,
: You don't know how important you are to us. 你不知道你对我们来说是多么的重要.
: Do you remember the Monteros? 你还记不记得蒙特若夫妇?
: They moved to New York about seven years ago. 他们大概七年前搬到纽约去了,
: They have a daughter, a very pretty girl. 他们有一个很漂亮的女儿,
: She's just about your age. 跟你差不多一样年纪.
: They won't recognize you, of course, but they'll remember us, and they'll be very happy to see you. 当然, 他们会认不出你是谁, 但是还会记得我们. 他们看到你, 一定会很高兴.
: The girl's name is Maria. 他们的女儿叫玛丽亚,
: I'm sure you'll find the number in the telephone book. 我想你在电话簿里一定可以查到电话号码,
: His first name is Fernando. 他的名字叫费南多.
: Forgive me, Miguel. 请原谅我, 米盖尔,
: I know you are a man now, 我知道你已经不再是小孩子了,
: but you are also my son. 可是, 你仍然是我的儿子.
: I worry about you, and I suppose I always will. 我替你担心, 我想, 大概永远会替你担心.
: Love, Mama 妈
: PS Write soon. 再启: 快一点来信.
: It was a warm day, warm for April. 是一个温暖如四月的天气.
: People were walking around the Fair with their coats over their arms. 在万国博览会有人一边把大衣挂在胳膊上, 一边散步.
: The sun was bright, and there were little white clouds in the blue sky. 太阳很大, 蓝色的天空里有小小的白云,
: The trees wore a light green smile. 树木露出浅绿色的笑容.
: At noon the Saturday crowd was very large. 在星期六的中午一大堆人群,
: Adults were laughing, children were crying, and everyone was having a good time. 大人们在笑, 小孩子们在叫, 大家都玩的很开心.
: A thousand vendors were selling ice cream, hot dogs, and cold drinks. 无数的摊贩在卖冰淇淋、热狗和冷饮.
: It was a beautiful, spring morning -- 这是一个美丽的春天的上午,
: the kind you want to last forever. 一种使人们希望它会持续到永远的天气.
: Later in the afternoon, the sun was not so bright, 下午之后, 太阳没那么炎热了,
: the sky was not so blue. 天空也不那么蔚蓝.
: The little white clouds were now large and gray. 小小的白云变成了大大的黑云.
: There was a drop here, a drop there... 这里掉了一滴雨水, 那里掉了一滴...
: then ten thousand noisy drops. 然后哗啦哗啦的下了倾盆大雨.
: People shouted and ran in every direction. 人们一边喊叫一边向四面八方跑,
: Then there was silence, the sun, the blue sky, and a rainbow. 然后一切平静下来, 天空中又出现了太阳、蓝天, 还有一道彩虹.
: I admire Claire. 我真羡慕克蕾尔.
: She works all day and goes to school at night. 她白天上一天的班, 晚上还要去读书.
: She knows where she's going and what she wants, and she's willing to work for it. 她掌握了人生的方向和目标, 而且肯为达到目标而努力.
: Am I? 我能吗?
: In my first job, I was secretary. 我第一份工作是当秘书,
: When I married my husband, I quit. 结婚以后我就辞职了.
: After I left him, I went back to the same office. 离开丈夫以后就回到同一个公司,
: I never thought about other possibilities. 我始终没有考虑走别的路.
: When I came here, I got a job right away. 当我来到这里以后, 马上有了工作.
: I was happy with anything. 那个时候我一点也不挑剔, 对任何事情都感到很快乐.
: Now I'd like a change. 而现在我却想换一个环境.
: First things first. 首先最重要的是,
: What skills do I have? 我有些什么技能?
: -- OK. I can do anything. -- 是的, 我什么都能作.
: -- Anything? -- 什么都能做吗?
: -- Yes, anything. -- 是, 我什么事都能做.
: -- Come on now, Laura. Be realistic. -- 罗拉, 你不要这样子了, 面对现实点吧!
: -- All right, almost anything. -- 好吧, 差不多什么都能做.
: I can speak, read, and write English and Spanish. 我能说、读、写英文和西班牙文,
: I can run an office. 我能负责办公室的一切事务.
: I'm friendly and competent. 我又合群又能干,
: Uh... there must be more. 嗯... 一定还有,
: Oh, yes, I type and take shorthand in two languages. 对了, 我有两种语言的打字和速记技能.
: -- Well, then, if you can do all that, -- 那么, 你既然有这些技能,
: you don't have to work for the Mr. Crawfords of the world! 就不必要替郭佛先生这种人工作!
: -- But, what will I do, then? -- 那么我将要怎么做呢?
: -- Well, what kind of job would you like? -- 你想要怎么样的工作?
: Do you want to work in an office again? 你愿不愿意再到办公室去工作?
: There's so much to think about. 要考虑的事情可真多!
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
7  发表于: 2004-05-08   
book 4

MICHAEL: Good-bye, Miguel. Nice meeting you. Good-bye, Marta. Thanks for coming. 米盖尔再见, 很高兴认识你. 玛它再见, 谢谢你的光临.
MARTA: Bye. Don't forget our English lesson on Wednesday. 再见, 星期三补习英文, 你可不要忘了!
MICHAEL: I won't. I'll be there. And why don't you come, too, Miguel? 放心好了, 我会来的, 米盖尔你也来, 好不好?
MIGUEL: Thank you. I will. And thank you for inviting me to the party. It was a lot of fun. 谢谢, 我会来的, 谢谢你邀请我参加宴会. 我玩得很开心.
MARTA: Thank you again, Michael. I'll see you next Wednesday. Joana, it was a pleasure meeting you. 麦可, 谢谢你, 下星期三见. 琼娜, 很高兴认识你.
JOANA: Thank you. It was a pleasure meeting you and Miguel. 谢谢, 很高兴认识你和米盖尔.
ALL: Good night. 晚安!
MICHAEL: Well. 好了,
MICHAEL: Let's sit down for a few minutes. 我们坐一会吧.
MICHAEL: I can clean up later. 我等一会再清理.
JOANA: No, let me help you. 不, 让我来帮你忙.
MICHAEL: No, that's all right. I can do it by myself in the morning. 不必; 没关系, 明天早上我可以自己清理.
JOANA: It was a very nice party. It's too bad Paulo had to work late. 宴会很成功, 可惜保罗必须加班.
MICHAEL: Yes, it is, but I'm glad you had a good time. 嗯, 很可惜! 不过, 我很高兴你玩得很开心.
JOANA: I liked your friends. 我喜欢你的朋友.
MICHAEL: They liked you, too. I could tell. As a matter of fact, you made everybody feel comfortable. 他们也喜欢你. 我看得出来, 事实上, 你使大家都感到很自在.
JOANA: That's easy. You're a great host. 那很容易, 你是个出色的主人.
MICHAEL: Well, you're a pretty good hostess. 那么, 你是个很棒的女主人了,
MICHAEL: I was tired of giving parties by myself. 我自己办宴会都办累了.
JOANA: You know, when I was a teenager, 知道吗? 我在少女时代
JOANA: I used to go to parties all the time. 经常参加聚会.
JOANA: I enjoyed myself every minute--parties, dances, boys. 我一天到晚玩得非常开心, 参加聚会, 去跳舞, 交男朋友.
MICHAEL: It sounds like fun. 听来蛮有趣的.
JOANA: It was. I used to live from dance to dance. 真的很好玩, 一个舞会结束了, 我就开始期待着下一个,
JOANA: On the weekends, 到了周末,
JOANA: Paulo and I never used to be home. 我和保罗根本就不惯于待在家里.
MICHAEL: Paulo? I don't believe it. 保罗? 真难以置信,
MICHAEL: I thought he worked all the time--like my brother. 我还以为他只懂得工作, 就像我哥哥一样.
JOANA: Your brother? I didn't know you had a brother. 你哥哥? 我还不知道你有一个哥哥.
MICHAEL: It's a long story. 一言难尽.
JOANA: We have time. 我们有的是时间.
MICHAEL: OK. How about a cup of coffee? Then I'll tell you about myself. 好, 要不要喝杯咖啡? 然后我告诉你一些关于我自己的事.
JOANA: Let me help. 我来帮忙.
MICHAEL: No. That's OK. This kitchen is too small for two. Look around. Make yourself at home. 不, 我来就可以了. 这个厨房太小, 不能容纳两个人. 到处随便看看, 不要拘束.
PAULO: Do you remember my idea for an art competition at the Fair? 记不记得我在万博会举行艺术比赛的构想?
JOANA: Yes. How did they like it? 记得, 他们的反应如何?
PAULO: Very much. In fact, we're starting the project immediately. And guess who's in charge? 非常好, 事实上 我们立刻就要展开活动. 而且, 你猜谁来负责?
JOANA: I don't know. I give up. 我不晓得, 我不猜.
PAULO: You give up too easily. Your brother! Who else? 你太容易放弃了. 是你大哥! 还会是谁?
JOANA: Congratulations, Paulo! Now maybe you can take a few days off. 恭喜你了, 保罗! 现在, 你或许可以休息几天了.
JOANA: You work harder than anyone else in that office. 那个办公室里, 没有一个人像你这么努力工作.
PAULO: Joana, 琼娜,
PAULO: you don't take time off when you want a promotion. 一个人如果想进升的话, 就不能请假.
JOANA: You even eat more quickly than you used to. 你连吃饭都比以前吃得快.
PAULO: Hey, I didn't ask for a lecture! 嘿! 我没要你来教训我.
JOANA: I'm sorry, Paulo. I think it's wonderful. Now tell me about the competition. What are the rules? Can Michael enter? 对不起, 保罗, 我想那是很美妙的, 告诉我一些关于这个比赛的事, 有些什么规则? 麦可可不可以参加?
PAULO: Michael Crawford? 麦可·郭佛?
JOANA: Sure. 是啊,
JOANA: He paints better than anyone I know. 他的画比我所认识的人画得都要好.
JOANA: When does the competition start? 比赛什么时候开始?
PAULO: We won't announce the contest until Mr. Crawford finishes the brochure. 我们等郭佛先生完成册子, 再公布比赛.
JOANA: Oh, is he doing the brochure for you? 哦, 他帮你编小册子吗?
PAULO: Yes. 是的.
JOANA: What does his office look like? 他的办公室是什么样子?
PAULO: It's large enough, and modern and businesslike. And very formal--too formal, perhaps. Why do you ask? 地方很大, 很摩登很有条理, 而且十分正式--太正式了. 也许 你问这些干什么?
JOANA: Just curious. I'm trying to imagine Michael in that office. 只是好奇而已, 我试着想像, 麦可坐在那个办公室里.
PAULO: What do you mean? 我不懂.
JOANA: Michael gave himself a deadline. Either he does well this year, or he gives up art and goes into business with his father. 麦可为自己定下了一个期限. 他今年要是不成功的话, 就放弃艺术, 和他爸爸从事经商.
PAULO: How well is "well"? 要怎么样才算 "成功" 了呢?
PAULO: How is he going to measure success? 他如何去衡量成败?
PAULO: Does he have to paint as well as the masters? 他是必需要画得和名画家一样好吗?
JOANA: I don't really know. But he has to prove something to himself. 我并不清楚, 反正, 他要向自己证明一件事.
PAULO: Then this competition could be his big chance. 那么这个比赛可能是他的一个大好机会.
JOANA: Yes, it could. 是的, 将会是个大好机会.
: Gary, my brother. Gary Whitney Crawford, Jr. 我哥哥瑞·小葛瑞·维特尼·郭佛,
: He looks just like me, you know, Joana. At least he used to. 你知道的, 琼娜他和我长得一模一样, 至少以前很像.
: He's eighteen months older than I am, but as kids we used to wear the same clothes and pretend we were twins! 他比我大十八个月, 但是我们小的时候都穿同样的衣服, 假装我们是双胞胎.
: Gary was the greatest brother in the world, and in many ways, he was may father, too. 葛瑞是个全世界最好的哥哥, 在很多方面, 他也可作我爸爸.
: Dad didn't have time for me. 我爸爸没有时间陪我,
: He was too busy. 他太忙碌了.
: Gary and I went to the same college, but that's when things started to change. 我和葛瑞上同一间大学, 可是到那个时候, 情况就开始转变了,
: He studied business. 他学商了.
: Why did he study business? 他为甚么学商业?
: Because my father wanted him to. 因为我爸爸要他这样做,
: He used to study night and day. 他日以继夜的念书,
: I studied art and worked hard at it. 我学艺术, 而且很用功.
: But I had time for my friends, too. 不过, 我还有时间和朋友在一起.
: Gary and I saw each other less and less. 我和葛瑞彼此见面的机会愈来愈少.
: When Gary graduated, he went to work for my father. 葛瑞毕业以后就到我爸爸的公司去作事.
: He stayed at the office until late at night. 他很晚才离开办公室,
: He kept to himself a lot. 不常和别人交谈.
: Like my father, Gary was always busy. 葛瑞像我爸爸一样, 一天到晚忙着.
: Then one night, Gary and my father had a terrible fight. 后来有一天晚上, 葛瑞和爸爸吵架, 吵得惊天动地.
: The next morning Gary moved out. 第二天早上葛瑞就搬走了,
: We never saw him again. 我们以后再也没有看到他.
: About a year ago, a college friend of mine saw Gary in London. 大概一年以前, 我大学时代的一个同学在伦敦看到葛瑞,
: He was with a woman and a baby. 他和一个女的还有一个小孩在一起.
: My friend was sure it was Gary. 我那个同学确定那是葛瑞,
: He never forgets a face. 他永远不会忘记那张脸.
: I would like to write about two people, a man and a woman. 我要写的是关于两个人, 一个男人和一个女人的故事.
: They live quiet lives. 他们过着很平静的生活,
: When they go out into the street, no one asks for their autographs, but everyone in their profession knows and respects them. 当他们出门在街上走的时候, 没有人要求他们的亲笔签名, 但是他们的同行都知道他们, 也都尊敬他们,
: They work as a team. 他们一起工作如同一个小组.
: The woman is a journalist. 女的是位新闻记者,
: The man is a photographer. 男的是位摄影师.
: They met on their first job. 他们是在担任第一份工作的时候认识的,
: They both worked for a famous picture magazine. 两个人同在一个有名的书刊杂志社作事.
: She wrote the articles, and he took the photographs. 她负责写文章, 而他负责照相片.
: The magazine sent them all over the world to cover important events. 杂志社派他们到世界各地去采访重要的新闻,
: They won many awards and medals. 他们赢得了很多奖赏和徽章.
: One day the magazine went bankrupt. 有一天杂志社破产了,
: Many other magazines and newspapers offered them positions, 很多其他杂志社和报社都提供他们工作的职位,
: but at this point the man and the woman decided to work independently. 但在这个时候, 他们决定从事独立作业方式.
: She decided she wanted to write a book about her experiences at the magazine. 她决定写一本描述她在书刊杂志社工作时的经过,
: He wanted to work on a photographic essay on bonsai. 他则想作一本盆栽的照片专集.
: For once, they did not worry about deadlines and editors. 他们首次可以不用为截稿日期和编辑而烦恼.
: They enjoyed their work and grew professionally. 他们工作感到很愉快, 而逐渐崭露头角.
: Their books were successful. 他们的书都很畅销,
: When they finished their separate projects, 当完成了个别的计划之后,
: they decided to work as a team again. 他们决定再度合作.
: Now they are ready to go, day or night, on a moment's notice. 现在他们随时准备出动,
: When there are earthquakes in Honduras, they are there. 当宏都拉斯发生大地震时, 他们在那里采访;
: When there are battles in the Middle East, they are there. 当中东有战役时, 他们在那里访问;
: When there are local tragedies, they are there, too. 当地方发生悲惨事件时, 他们也在那儿采访.
: My parents are a great team. 我的父母就是这个伟大小组的成员.
: James Yamamoto 山本杰美斯
: Look at all those people. 看看那许多人,
: They all have good jobs and houses in the country. 他们都有很好的工作, 并且在乡下都拥有房子,
: OK., maybe all of them don't have houses in the country, but they probably have more than you. 好吧! 他们不一定每一个人都在乡下有房子, 但是或许他们拥有的比你还多.
: Laura, stop it. 得了, 罗拉,
: Don't feel so sorry for yourself. 不要为自己感到难过,
: Nobody likes to get out and look for a job. 没有一个人喜欢出来找工作,
: I'm getting depressed again. 我又情绪低落了,
: It's time for a change. 该是换换环境了,
: Maybe I'll meet someone in an elevator, and he'll offer me a wonderful job. 也许我会在电梯里认识一个人, 然后他将提供给我一份理想的工作,
: My worries will be over. 我就没有烦恼,
: Stop it, Laura. Be realistic. 得了, 罗拉, 现实点.
: Yes, it's time for a change. 对, 我应该换一个环境了,
: I hate offices. 我讨厌办公室,
: I don't hate work - that's why I got the job with Crawford - but I don't like offices. 我不厌恶工作 - 所以才到郭佛那里去作事 - 但是我不喜欢办公室,
: I don't feel human in an office. 我觉得在公司里不像个人.
: I'd rather work with people than with files and typewriters. 我喜欢和别人接触, 不喜欢和档案、打字机作伴.
: But how? 要怎么样才可以呢?
: I could be a real estate agent, a travel agent, 我可以当房地产经纪人、旅行经纪人、
: a... anything, as long as it isn't boring. 或什么都行, 只要不令人无聊就可以.
: Claire's going to law school. 克蕾尔正读法律学校.
: Crawford's son, what's his name? ...Michael, Yes. 郭佛的儿子, 他叫什么名字? ... 麦可. 对了,
: He wants to be an artist. 他想作艺术家.
: Henry Leeds likes his job. 亨利·里德斯喜欢他的工作,
: He doesn't want to do anything else. 他不想再做其他事情,
: It is possible to be happy at your job. 一个人能从自己的工作得到快乐, 到底不是不可能的.
: I could teach Spanish. 我可以教西班牙文,
: No, I don't have the patience. 不, 我没有这份耐心.
: I think I'd to be my own boss. 我想我会喜欢自己当老板.
: I like to sew. 我喜欢做针线.
: Maybe I could open a small dress shop. 也许我可以开一家小服装店.
: I wonder how much you need to start a shop. 不知道开一个店需要多少钱.
: My head is spinning. 我头昏脑胀,
: I must be getting hungry. 大概是饿了吧,
: I'm tired, too. 而且也疲倦.
: Maybe I'm getting a cold. 也许我感冒了,
: No. You're not getting a cold. 不,你并不是感冒,
: You're just depressed. And scared. 你只是沮丧和害怕.
: A dress shop. I'll have to think about that. 开一家服装店, 这个应该多研究研究.
: Would you like to order now? 小姐想吃什么?
MR.YAMAMOTO: Excuse me, sir. 先生请问您,
MR.YAMAMOTO: Can you tell me where the Japanese Garden is? 能不能告诉我, 日本花园在那里?
BILL: It's quite a long walk from here. Why don't you take the Fair bus? It stops right over there, in the Plaza of Nations. Between the statue and the fountain. 从这里走到那边相当远, 您不妨搭乘博览会公车, 它就停在那边, 在广场里的 雕像和喷水池之间.
MR.YAMAMOTO: The statue? Excuse me, I don't see as well as I used to. 雕像啊? 对不起, 我不像以前看得那么清楚.
ALI: Hi, Mr. O'Neill. 嗨, 欧尼尔先生.
BILL: Oh, hi, Ali. 哦, 阿里你好,
BILL: Would you do me a favor? 你愿不愿意帮我一个忙?
ALI: Sure. 好.
BILL: Would you take this gentleman to the bus stop over there? 请你带这位先生到那边巴士站, 好不好?
ALI: Sure. Hi. Where do you want to go? 好, 嗨, 你要去那里?
BILL: The gentleman wants to go to the bus stop, Ali. 这位先生要到巴士站, 阿里.
ALI: But where are you going after that? 然后你要去那里呢?
BILL: He asks a lot of questions. 他问了许多问题.
ALI: My father says I shouldn't ask so many questions. 我爸爸说我不该问这么多问题,
ALI: He says it's not polite. So I'm sorry. But I still want to know. 他说这样不礼貌. 所以我道歉, 但是我还是想知道.
BILL: Ali, the next bus will be here any minute. 阿里, 下一班车随时会来.
MR.YAMAMOTO: I'm going to the Japanese Garden. 我要到日本花园去.
ALI: Are you Japanese? I'm from Iran. 你是不是日本人? 我是伊朗人.
MR.YAMAMOTO: I was born in Japan. 我在日本出生.
ALI: I went to the Japanese Garden last week. 我上个礼拜到日本花园去过.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Did you? 噢, 你去过啦?
ALI: Yes, it's very pretty. My mother liked it very much. I think it's too quiet there, 是的, 非常漂亮, 我妈妈很喜欢. 我觉得那边太安静了,
ALI: but I'll go with you if you want. 不过, 如果你要去的话, 我就陪你去.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Thank you. But if you come with me, your parents won't know where you are. 谢谢. 不过, 你如果陪我去, 你父母就会不知道你到那里去了.
ALI: If you wait, I'll tell my parents where I'm going. 你若能等我一下, 我就告诉我爸爸妈妈我要去那里.
MR.YAMAMOTO: You are a good boy. 你真乖.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Maybe some other time. 或许, 改天吧.
ALI: Do you come here a lot? I'm here every afternoon. My father works in that bank. That's my friend, Mr. O'Neill, the ice cream man. 你常常来这里吗? 我每天下午都在这里. 我爸爸就在那个银行里上班, 那位是我的朋友, 欧尼尔先生, 冰淇淋摊贩.
MR.YAMAMOTO: Here's the bus. Good-bye, Ali. And thank you. 巴士来了, 再见, 阿里, 谢谢你!
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
8  发表于: 2004-05-08   

MIGUEL: Marta, how did you meet Michael Crawford? 玛它, 你是怎样认识麦可·郭佛的?
MARTA: It's a funny story. One day while I was coming down 88th Street, 说起来真好笑, 有一天我顺着八十八街走的时候,
MARTA: I tripped and fell. 失足跌倒了,
MARTA: My packages spilled all over the sidewalk. 携带的东西都散落了整个人行道.
MARTA: I twisted my ankle, and I couldn't stand up. 我的脚踝扭伤, 简直无法站起来.
MIGUEL: Didn't anyone help you? 没有人帮你吗?
MARTA: A couple was passing by and helped me pick up my groceries. They even carried them home for me. The guy was Michael. 刚好有一对男女走过, 他们帮助我把东西拣起来, 还替我拿回家去, 那个男的就是麦可.
MIGUEL: How long ago was that? 多久以前的事?
MARTA: Oh, about a year ago, I guess. Then, as we were walking home, he mentioned he lived in the neighborhood. So I made a friend. 噢, 大概一年以前. 我想 然后 在回家的途中, 他说他就住在附近, 于是我们交了朋友,
MARTA: He gives me English lessons, too. 他还替我补习英文.
MIGUEL: But he's a painter, isn't he? 咦? 他不是一个画家吗?
MARTA: Yes, I think so. Why? 嗯, 好像是, 你为什么问这个?
MIGUEL: I'm just putting two and two together. 举一反三嘛!
MARTA: What do you mean? 什么意思?
MIGUEL: I saw a picture of Michael on Pedro's desk. 我在佩德罗的书桌上看到麦可的照片.
MARTA: Michael and Pedro! 麦可和佩德罗!
MARTA: I didn't know they knew each other. 他们彼此认识, 我倒还不知道.
MIGUEL: Neither did I. But apparently, they used to be best friends. 我也不知道. 不过, 很显然的, 他们一度是最好的朋友.
MARTA: Really? 真的?
MARTA: They don't seem to have much in common. 他们好像并没有什么共同点,
MARTA: What happened? 是怎么回事?
MIGUEL: To make a long story short, Michael's old girlfriend fell in love with Pedro. 长话短说, 麦可以前的女朋友与佩德罗相爱了.
MARTA: Oh. 噢,
MARTA: That sounds like Pedro. 听起来就像是佩德罗干的.
MIGUEL: No, it wasn't exactly Pedro's fault, but Michael wouldn't speak to him after that. 不, 这不完全是佩德罗的过失, 但是从那个时候起, 麦可就不愿意和他说话了.
MARTA: That's understandable. 那是可以了解的.
MIGUEL: Maybe. But it's a shame. 也许. 不过, 我总觉得那是很丢人的.
MARTA: Well, Michael is sensitive. That's why he's so charming. 嗯, 麦可就是敏感一点, 所以才那么令人着迷.
MIGUEL: Yes, but now that Michael is seeing Joana, I hope he'll forgive Pedro. 不错, 但是麦可既然和琼娜在谈恋爱, 我希望他会原谅佩德罗.
MARTA: You don't have to worry about Pedro. 你用不着替佩德罗担忧.
MIGUEL: I know, but I think a good friendship deserves a second chance. 我知道, 但是我认为深厚的友情应该有言归于好的机会.
MARTA: So do I, but... 我也这样觉得, 不过...
MIGUEL: And Pedro needs his old friend. He's very lonely. 尔且佩德罗需要他的老朋友, 他非常孤单.
MARTA: Lonely? Every time I see him he's with a different woman. 孤单? 每次我看到他都和不同的女孩子在一起.
MR.NIKZAD: Captain, would you tell me who is responsible for catching the thieves? I'd like to thank him personally. 警长, 您可不可以告诉我, 逮捕那些贼的人是谁? 我想亲自向他道谢.
CAPT.JAMISON: You know him. 你认识他的.
MR.NIKZAD: I do? 真的?
CAPT.JAMISON: But I must ask you not to tell anyone who he is. 不过, 我必须请你不要告诉任何人他是谁,
CAPT.JAMISON: He's one of our undercover men. 他是我们的一个便衣警员.
MR.NIKZAD: Certainly. 那当然!
CAPT.JAMISON: Sergeant O'Neill. Would you step into my office? 欧尼尔警官, 请到我的办公室来一下.
BILL: Captain? 什么事, 警长?
MR.NIKZAD: Mr. O'Neill. The ice cream vendor! I don't believe it. Ali was right. 欧尼尔先生, 那个冰淇淋贩! 我真想不到! 原来阿里是对的!
CAPT.JAMISON: Who was right? 谁对了?
MR.NIKZAD: My son, Ali. 我的儿子阿里.
MR.NIKZAD: He never stops talking about Mr. O'Neill. 他一天到晚都在讲欧尼尔先生.
MR.NIKZAD: He always says, "Mr. O'Neill is a secret agent." 他总是说: 「欧尼尔先生是个密探.」
CAPT.JAMISON: Sergeant, you didn't say anything to the boy, did you? 警官, 你该没有对那个小孩说什么吧?
MR.NIKZAD: Captain, I'm sure he didn't have to. Ali is very... what is the word in English... imaginative. 警长, 我相信他用不着说. 阿里这孩子非常... 英文怎么讲... 想像力很丰富.
MR.NIKZAD: He enjoys pretending to be you, Sergeant. You are his hero. 警官, 你是他心目中的英雄, 他崇拜你, 很喜欢学你.
BILL: He's a fine boy. 他是个好孩子.
MR.NIKZAD: And he loves talking to you about baseball. 他也很喜欢和你谈棒球.
MR.NIKZAD: He keeps trying to learn, 他一直试着学,
MR.NIKZAD: but I don't know how to play, so I can't teach him. 可是我不会玩, 所以就没办法教他.
MR.NIKZAD: But tell me Sergeant, how did you know those three were thieves? 那么, 警官请你告诉我, 你怎么知道那三个人是强盗?
BILL: I suspected something right away. 我一开始就起疑心.
BILL: They kept walking back and forth in front of the bank. 他们在银行的门口一直走来走去,
BILL: After watching them for three days, I knew something was going to happen soon. 在注意他们三天以后, 我就知道不久即会有事情发生了.
MR.NIKZAD: Why did you wait three days before acting? 你为什么要等三天才采取行动呢?
BILL: We needed more proof, 因为我们需要更多的证据,
BILL: so I started noting their movements carefully. I sold ice cream right under their noses. 所以我开始细心地观察他们的行踪. 我就在他们的跟前卖冰淇淋.
MR.NIKZAD: I am impressed, Sergeant, impressed and grateful. But what a shame. Ali can never know he was right. 我真钦佩你, 警官, 钦佩又感激. 但是, 真可惜, 阿里永远不会知道他是对的.
HUSSEIN: Ali! Did you hear? There was a robbery at Dad's bank! 阿里! 你知不知道? 爸爸的银行被人抢劫!
ALI: Wow! Did they take a lot of money? 哇! 他们抢了很多钱吗?
HUSSEIN: No. Some undercover policemen at the Fair caught the thieves. 没有, 万博会有便衣警察把强盗抓到了.
ALI: I bet Mr. O'Neill did it! 我想一定是欧尼尔先生抓的,
ALI: When I grow up, I want to be a secret agent like Mr. O'Neill. 我长大了以后, 我要当密探, 就像欧尼尔先生一样.
HUSSEIN: Ali, Mr. O'Neill is an ice cream vendor! 阿里, 欧尼尔先生是冰淇淋摊贩!
PEDRO: It's been a long time. 好久不见了.
MICHAEL: Yes, it has. 是的, 很久不见了.
PEDRO: How have you been? 你好吗?
MICHAEL: Much better since I spoke to you last. 比上次和你讲话时好多了.
PEDRO: You know, Michael, I'm sorry about... 我要告诉你, 麦可, 我很抱歉关于...
MICHAEL: You don't have to be. 不用道歉.
PEDRO: Then why are you still angry? Anyway, I am sorry. 那么你为什么还生气? 不管怎么样, 我是很遗憾.
MICHAEL: I am, too. I thought we were friends. 我也是, 我想我们是好朋友.
PEDRO: We were. 是的, 我们是好朋友.
MICHAEL: How's Marian? 玛丽安她好吗?
PEDRO: I don't know. 我不知道.
PEDRO: I haven't seen her for almost three years. 我已经快三年没有看到她了.
MICHAEL: Didn't she stay with you? 她没有跟你在一起吗?
PEDRO: No. I saw her for a few weeks, and then she left. she went to Florida. 没有, 我们交往了几个星期, 她就离开了. 她到佛罗里达州去了.
MICHAEL: Haven't you kept in touch? 你们没有保持联络吗?
PEDRO: No. There was no reason to. 没有, 没有这个必要,
PEDRO: I was happy to see her go. 我很高兴她走了.
MICHAEL: Then why did you... 那么你为什么要...
PEDRO: Now wait a minute, Michael. 慢着, 麦可.
PEDRO: I didn't go looking for her. 我不会去找她的,
PEDRO: She came to me. 过去是她找上门来的.
PEDRO: Michael. It's over. I'm sorry. What more can I say? Let's have a beer and forget the whole thing. 麦可, 事情已经结束了, 我很抱歉, 我还能说什么? 让我们喝杯啤酒去. 将这所有事情都忘掉吧!
MICHAEL: Hello, Pedro. How have you been? 佩德罗你好, 最近怎么样?
PEDRO: Okay, Michael. It's been a long time. 还不错, 麦可, 好久不见.
MICHAEL: Are you still interested in photography? 你仍然对摄影有兴趣吗?
PEDRO: Yes, and I've done a lot of new things. Come on, I'll tell you about them. 是的, 而且我还作了很多新的尝试. 来, 让我来告诉你.
MICHAEL: How's your mother? I've missed her. 你妈妈好吗? 我真想念她.
MICHAEL: She's fine. 她很好,
MICHAEL: She'll be glad to see you again. 她会很高兴再看到你.
PEDRO: She's missed you, too. 她也想念你,
PEDRO: So has the rest of my family. 我们一家人都想念你.
: Eighty-eighth Street is usually a busy street, especially during the summer. But sometimes, early in the morning and in the heat of the afternoon, it is quiet. 八十八街通常是很热闹的, 尤其是在夏天的时候. 不过, 有时候在一大清早和炎热午后里, 八十八街却很安静.
: No, not "quiet", quieter. 不, 不应该说很安静, 应该说比较安静一点才对,
: There are always kids playing ball. 随时都有小孩子在那里打球.
: They don't seem to notice the heat, the darkness, or the passing cars. 闷热的天气、黑暗的夜晚以及往来的车辆, 他们似乎并不在意.
: It's a street like many others. 这条街和其他许多街道一样,
: Children run, and jump, and fall. 街上的小孩, 跑的跑, 跳的跳, 摔倒的摔倒.
: Parents push baby carriages. Young men and women walk slowly, arm in arm, or hand in hand. 爸爸妈妈们推着婴儿车走, 青年男女臂挽着臂或手牵着手慢慢地走着,
: The people of the neighborhood know each other. 左右邻居彼此都认识.
: When friends meet, they stop and say a word or two. 当朋友相遇的时候, 他们总会停下来寒喧一下.
: Two women, both lost in thought, walk toward each other. 两个沈思的妇女彼此迎面走近,
: As they pass, they look up. 她们走过彼此身边的时候, 都抬起头来看.
: They stop. They smile. 她们止步, 她们微笑.
: They start to speak at the same time. 然后同时开始讲话.
: They laugh, happy to see each other. 她们都很高兴彼此碰面.
: After a minute or two, one turns around and walks the other to her door. 过一两分钟, 其中的一个妇女转身送另外一个妇女到她家门口.
: They stand and talk a few minutes more. 她们站在那里继续谈上几分钟,
: Then each one takes a few steps, turns, and waves good-bye. 然后一个走上几层台阶, 转身挥别.
: At noon on June 3, three men bought sandwiches and ice cream and sat on one of the benches in front of the International Bank. 在六月三日中午, 有三名男子买了三明治和冰淇淋后在国家银行前的橙子上坐下.
: This behavior continued on June 4 and 5. 他们在六月四、五号这两天继续这样做.
: They were trying to look and act like tourists, but they obviously were not. 他们尽力装出观光客的模样和作风, 但是很显然的, 他们并不是.
: They never smiled. 他们始终没有露出笑容,
: They were not enjoying themselves. 心情也并不愉快.
: The suspects carefully noted the movements of each of the bank's employees. 三名嫌疑犯密切注意银行每一个职员往来的情形.
: They even noted when and where I moved my ice cream cart. 他们甚至注意我推冰淇淋车的时间和地点.
: On June 5, at exactly 2:20, when two of the four guards were out to lunch, the three suspects moved toward the entrance of the bank. 在六月五日下午两点二十分整, 当银行四个警卫中的两个人外出午餐的时候, 这三名嫌疑犯走向银行的入口.
: I immediately called for help. Then I moved the ice cream cart closer to the entrance of the bank. 我立刻通知同仁协助, 然后把冰淇淋车移近银行的入口,
: I wanted to be able to stop them from leaving the area. 希望能够阻止他们离开那个区域.
: One of the suspects stood at the door of the bank. 其中的一名嫌疑犯站在银行的门口,
: The other two entered the bank and stood in line. 另外两名则进去银行排队.
: When they got up to the tellers, they took guns out of paper bags. 当他们走到出纳员面前时, 就从牛皮纸袋取出枪.
: Most of the people in the bank didn't know what was happening. 银行里的人大多不知道有事情发生.
: I could see this through the windows of the bank. 这件事情经过, 我从银行的窗外可以看到.
: Meanwhile, the other non-uniformed policemen arrived. 在此同时, 其余的便衣警员也到达了现场.
: We spread out. 我们分布各处.
: Some went into the bank and some stood near the front. 有的到银行里面去, 有的站到门口近处.
: We wanted to wait until they had the money in their hands. 我们等待直到他们拿到了钱,
: Then we got them. 然后把他们逮捕,
: It was all over in twenty seconds. 这件事情只花二十秒钟的时间就结束了.
: I never stopped selling ice cream, although I gave one man too much change. 我始终一直地继续卖冰淇淋, 虽然我多找给一位男士太多的零钱.
: "I like this old bar. 我很喜欢这家老酒馆,
: I know it's old-fashioned, but that's what I like about it. 我明知它有点老式, 不过就因为这样我才喜欢它.
: Sure, it's dark. 当然啦, 里面固然很黑,
: Most bars are. 但是大多数的酒馆都是这样子.
: But that's all right, some things look better in the dark. 那没关系, 有些东西要在黑暗里才好看.
: Besides, you don't go to a bar to read, do you? 尔且, 人上酒馆不是为了看书, 对不对?
: This is a friendly place. 这是一个亲切的地方.
: You can get a beer on your way home from work, 你可以在下班后喝杯啤酒再回家,
: find some friends, relax, 找几个朋友把身心放轻松,
: and forget about your kids, your job, and your mother-in-law. 把孩子、工作和丈母娘都忘掉.
: Times are changing, but "Joe's" stays the same. 时代在改变, 但是「乔之酒吧」没有变.
: Oh, there's a difference. 哦, 对了, 有一点不同.
: This kind of place used to be "for men only." 这个地方过去是「女宾止步」,
: Now, everybody's welcome. 尔现在却是来者不拒.
: If your money's good, we're glad to have you. 只要你喝完付帐, 我们就欢迎你来.
: I've been a bartender here for thirty years, and I'm still happy to come to work and see the old mahogany bar. 我在这里当酒保已经三十年, 每天上班, 看到这个老桃木盖成的酒吧, 仍然感到开心.
: It still makes me happy to see the liquor bottles beside the old French mirror. 看到这个老式法国镜子旁边的酒瓶, 也仍然感到开心.
: It's not a bad life. 这个日子过得还不坏.
: And, you know, it's funny. 还有我告诉你一件很滑稽的事情,
: I don't drink." 我从来不喝酒.
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
级别: 论坛版主
显示用户信息 
9  发表于: 2004-05-08   
book 5
这一册没有。
在网上找的时间还不如自己打几个字快。抽点时间把中文打上算了。以下是我自己做的中英对照,校过两遍版,但仍不保证没有错误。

UNIT 35
Seen any Dragons Lately?第三十五章 最近见到过龙吗?

LESSON 1
ALI: Hello, Mr. Vegetable Man. Do you remember me? My name is Ali.您好!卖菜的先生,还记得我吗?我叫埃利。
MR YAMAMOTO: Yes, Ali. I remember you.记得!埃利。
ALI: I met you when you were going to the Japanese Garden. Did you have a good time?您到日本花园去的时候我见到过您。那次玩得好吗?
MR YAMAMOTOI: Yes, thank you, Ali. Is this your mother, Ali?很好!谢谢你,埃利。这是你母亲吗?
ALI:   Yes, it is. Mommy, I told you about this man.对,是我妈妈。妈妈,他就是我跟你说过的那个人。
MRS NIKZAD: His name is Mr. Yamamoto, Ali. Be polite.他是亚玛莫托先生,埃利。要有礼貌。
ALI: How do you know his name, Mommy?您怎么知道他的名字,妈妈?
MRS NIKZAD:   Because many of my friends have told me about him and his excellent shop. It's nice to meet you, Mr. Yamamoto. Our name is Nikzad.许多朋友都和我谈起过他和他极好的商店。真高兴见到您,亚玛莫托先生。我们姓尼克撒德。
MR MAMOTO: How do you do, Mrs. Nikzad?Your son helped me find my way around the Fair. 您好,尼克撒德太太。您的儿子在博览会上给我带过路。
ALI: Are you famous, Mr. Yamamoto? How come?亚玛莫托先生,您一定很有名吧?怎么出的名?
MR YAMAMOTO: Because I have lived in this neighborhood a long time.因为我在这附近住了很长时间了。
ALI: But that isn't enough, is it?但这并能说明问题呀,对吗?
MR. YAMAMOTO: You have to answer that question for yourself.那你只好自己回答这个问题了。

LESSON 2
ALI: No. You have to do something special to be famous. You have to kill a dragon.不,您一定做过什么特别出名的事。您一定杀了一条龙。
MR. YAMAMOTO: I've never done that. I have seen many and fought with a few. But to my knowledge I haven't killed any yet.我从来没杀过龙。我见的很多,也和人争吵过,但在我的记忆里,还没杀过什么东西。
CUSTOMER: Excuse me, do you have any lettuce?劳驾,您这儿有莴巨吗?
ALI: Wow, have you ever ... ?噢,您……?
Mrs. NIKZAD: Mr. Yamamoto is a busy man. Perhaps Ali, we have already taken too much of his time. 亚玛莫托先生是个忙人。埃利,大概,我们已经打扰了好长时间了。
MR. YAMAMOTO:   [to the customer] I'll be with you in a moment. [对顾客]我马上就给您拿。
          [to Ali and his mother] Not at all, Mrs. Nikzad. If I don't have enough time, it is because I am old, not because I am busy. [对埃利和他的母亲]没关系,尼克撒德太太。如果说我的时间不够,那是因为我老了,可不是因为我忙呀!
ALI: I don't understand.我不明白。
MRS NIKZAD: Mr. Yamamoto is very wise. When have lived a little longer, you will understand.亚玛莫托先生说的很对,等你再长大点儿,就会明白的。
ALI: I want to understand now.我现在就想知道。
MR. YAMAMOTO:   Then you must visit me again.那你就再来找我。
ALI: Can I? I mean, may I?我能来吗?我是说,我可以来吗?


UNIT 36
The Competition第三十六章 比赛

LESSON 1
Joana and Mrs. Farias are in the kitchen talking.(乔安娜和菲里亚斯夫人在厨房谈话)
MRS. FARIAS:   When is Michael coming to pick up?米其尔什么时候来接你?
JOANA: He said seven. [The door bell ring.] Would you get the door please, Mama? [Mrs. Fanas goes to the door and opens it.]他说七点钟。[门铃响了]妈妈,您帮我开一下门好吗?[菲里亚斯夫人走去把门打开]
MRs. FARIAS: Hello, Micheal. How are you?噢,米其尔,你好?
MICHAEL:   Fine, thank you, Mrs. Farias. And you?好,谢谢您,菲里亚斯太太。您好吗?
MRS. FARIAS: Well, as a matter of fact, I'm not feeling very well today.好!不过说实在的,今天我有些不舒服。
MICHAEL: What's the matter?怎么了?
MRS. FARIAS:   Oh, I'm sure that it's nothing serious. Joana, Michael's here! [Joana enters]噢,没什么大不了的。乔安娜,米其尔来了![乔安娜进屋来]
JOANA: Hi, Michael.你好,米其尔!
MICHAEL:   Hi, you look great!你好!看起来你挺高兴。
JOANA: Thank you.谢谢!
MRS. FARIAS:   Will you two please excuse me? I have some things to do in the kitchen.你们俩聊吧,我要到厨房去干点活。
MICHAEL: Certainly. [to Joana ] What's up?您请便![对乔安娜]什么事那么高兴。
JOANA:   I have some exciting news.我有些激动人心的消息。
MICHAEL:   What is it? I hope you aren't going back home.什么消息?我可不希望是你准备回老家的消息。
JOANA: No.Right now I can't think of any place I'd rather be than here. But ...不是。我不能马上想出什么地方比这里更好。不过……
MICHAEL: What is it, then?不过什么?说下去。
JOANA:   How would you like to go to Brazil for two years?去巴西呆两年你觉得怎么样?

LESSON 2
MICHAEL: What? How? With whom?什么?怎么去?和谁一起去?
JOANA:   The Brazilian Pavilion is holding an art competition. The person who wins gets a grant to study and paint anywhere in Brazil. 世界博览会的巴西馆正在举办美术大赛,获胜者将得到奖学金,到巴西的任何地方学习和绘画。
MICHAEL: Really? How do you apply?真的?那怎么办呢?
JOANA: All you have to do is submit a painting to the Brazilian Pavilion by December 1. You'll love Brazil. I'll show you all the sights. We'll have a wonderful time.你所要干的就是在12月1日以前必须交巴西馆一幅画。你会爱上巴西的。我可以领你看巴西所有的风景名胜。我们将有一段美好的时光。
MICHAEL: Hold on. I can enter. That doesn't mean I'll win.说干就干,我可以参加。但这并不等于我能取胜。
JOANA:   Michael, no one else has a chance!米其尔,没人能有这个机会!
MICHAEL: Oh, come on.噢,得啦。
JOANA:   No, really. Name one modern artist whose pain tings are better than yours? Name one artist whose paintings the judges could possibly like more than yours. 不,真的,尽管现代画家的作品比你的要好。但裁判们也许更喜欢你的画。
MICHAEL: It's nice to have someone who believes in you. Too bad you're not one of the judges.有人信任你这的确很好。糟糕的是你并不是这次比赛的裁判。
JOANA:   Which picture are you going to send in?你打算画哪张画?
MICHAEL: I don't know. I'll have to do something new-something totally new--something spectacular. 我不知道。我得画几张新的——全新的——能够吸引人的作品。


UNIT 37
Reading and Refocus第三十七章 阅读与提高

LESSON 1第一课
        Another Letter from Miguel 米盖尔的另一封信
        Dear Mama,
          I can't believe it! I'll be home in a couple of weeks.
        This has been the greatest vacation I've ever had,
        My English is pretty good now. I can understand almost
        everything--except on the phone. I've made many new
        friends and learned lots of new things. For example,
        Mama, believe it or not, some Americans spend more
        hours watching T. V. than working at their jobs. It's
        true! I read it in an American paper.
          I called the Monteros last week. They were very happy
        to see me. You're right. They have a daughter my age.
      She is happily married, has two children, and sends her
      regards, They all send their regards. Mrs. Montero
      cried when we talked about the people she hasn't seen
      in years. I felt a little sorry for her. She wants to    
      go back to Colombia for a visit, but I don't think they have
      the money.
          On the brighter side, I'm sending you another photograph of    
      Marta. Don't worry.I'm not going to do anything 'foolish,'
      but I want you to be able to recognize her.
                                      Love, Miguel

亲爱的妈妈:                                    
  我简直不相信,再过两个星期我就要回家了。在我所有的假期中,这次是最名符其实的。现在我的英语相当好。除了在电话中有点困难外,其它的我都能听明白。我交了许多新朋友,学到了许多新东西。比如,妈妈,也许您不信,一些美国人看电视的时间比工作的时间要长的多。这是真的,我是从报纸上看到的。
  上星期,我拜访了蒙特罗斯一家。他们见到我很高兴。您说得对,他们有一个女儿和我同岁。她婚姻美满,已经有了两个孩子,她问您好。他们全家都让我代问您好。蒙特罗斯太太听到谈起她几年没见的朋友时都哭了。我觉得有点对不起她。她想回哥伦比亚看看,不过我看他们的钱不够。
  正如您所见,我又给您寄了一张玛塔的照片。别担心,我不会干什么“蠢事”,我只想让您能认识她。
                                    爱您的:米盖尔


LESSON 2第二课
      A Note from Nora 娜拉的便条
Hi, kids.
It's Friday again, so I won't be home from work until
9:15.
Dinner is in the refrigerator. Peggy, you can heat up
the stew and make the salad. Suzy, you can set the
table. Billy and Jack, I want you to clear the table,
wash the dishes, and put them away.
And you can get started on the weekly chores.
No chores, no allowance. Peggy, please scrub the
bathroom. It's filthy.
Jack, you know how to use the vacuum cleaner,
Would you please do the rugs and the floors?
And you, Billy, please clean up the mess in the
basement. I don't know what you were doing down
there, but you left'tools all over the place. And Suzy,
you can help Billy sweep up.
Dad will be home around 6:30. Why don't you have
dinner ready by then? OK. kids? Enjoy your dinner. Oh
yes,for dessert, you can have the chocolate cake. But
please leave a little piece for your hard-working
mother.
                                Love
                                  Mom
孩子们:
  又到星期五了,我得到九点一刻才能回家。晚饭在冰箱里。佩吉,你把炖菜热热,再做点沙拉。苏西,你摆桌子。比利和杰克,我要你们擦桌子、洗碗并把它们放好。然后开始做你们每周都做的家务。不干家务就不给你们零花钱。佩吉,你擦洗一下洗澡间。那里太脏了。杰克,你知道怎么用吸尘器。把地毯和地板打扫一下,好吗?那么你呢,比利,你把地下室乱七八糟的东西整理整理。真不知道你们在那儿都干了些什么,工具放得到处都是。苏西,你帮比利打扫。爸爸大概在六点半回家。你们要在他回家前把晚饭准备好。好吗,孩子们?祝你们吃顿好饭,噢,对了,点心,你们可以吃点巧克力蛋糕。不过,可千万别忘了,给你们辛苦工作的妈妈留点儿。
                  爱你们的:妈妈

LESSON 3
            THE WORLD'S FAIR NEWSLETTER
                      Volume 1 No.5
    Published by THE WORLD'S FAIR CORPORATION
    and THE G. W. CRAWFORD AGENCY, INC.
  THE SPACE BUILDING OPENS by Henry Leeds '
    Yesterday was the opening of the Space Building here
  at the World's Fair. Many famous scientists, architects,
  and diplomats were present. There was something for everybody.
    Messrs. Wood, Glass, and Stone, who are the architects
  of the building, attended the ceremonies. The building, which
  looks like a big glass cube, is as modern as its exhibitions.
    A large crowd listened to the many speeches of the diplomats.
  Among the listeners was a little boy. He was about seven years
  old, had curly black hair and big brown eyes, and was eating
  an ice cream sandwich. "Are you enjoying the speeches?" I asked.
  "No." he said, "they're boring. ""Then why are you here?"
  Because it's not as boring as home. "
    There you have it. Another day at the Fair.
第三课 世界博览会会刊        
                  第一册 第 五 号
            世界博览会与加里·惠特尼·克劳伍德联合印发
                太空馆落成开幕——亨利·利斯采写
  昨天世界博览会的太空馆正式开馆接待游客。许多著名的艺术家、建筑师和外交官出席了开馆典礼。该建筑的设计者,伍德、哥拉斯和思脱三位先生参加了开馆仪式。这座建筑象它里面的展品一样现代化。它看起来象一个巨大的玻璃骰子。一大群人听了外交官们的贺词。人群中有一个小男孩,大约七岁,他有着一头卷曲的黑发和一双褐色的大眼睛,嘴里吃着一块冰激凌三明治。“你喜欢这些讲话吗?”我问道。“不喜欢,”他说,“他们使人讨厌。”那你为什么还呆在这儿?”“因为这儿和家里的讨厌事不一样。”你会明白孩子的意思。在博览会又过了一天。


UNIT 38
You're Invited to a Party第三十八章 邀请你参加宴会

LESSON 1
ALI: Mommy. I'm going to be seven soon, right?妈妈,我快到七岁了,对吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: Yes, July 17.对,7月17日。
ALI: What day is that?是星期几呀?
MRs. NIKZAD: It's a Monday.星期一。
ALI: May I have a birthday party?我可以开个生日晚会吗?
MRS. NIKZAD: I'm sure you can. However, we'll have to talk to your father. 我想可以。不过,我们要告诉你爸爸一声。
ALI: I'll be good. I promise. I'll do whatever he says. I'll be so good that he won't know I'm here. Can we call him?那好,我答应您。爸爸说什么我都要开。我一声不响,爸爸不会知道我在家。我们给他打电话吧!
MRS. NmZAO: No. He'll be home any minute, Ali. It can wait till then, I'm sure. We've never had a big party in this apartment. I wonder ...不用,埃利。他一会儿就回来。我保证,到时候跟他说。在这所公寓里我们从来没举办过大的晚会。恐怕……
ALI: Oh, I don't want the party here!噢,我不是想在这儿搞晚会。
MRS NIKZAD; No? Where do you want it?不在这儿?那你想在哪儿?
ALI: At the Ice Cream Parlor. You know, the one that has 101 flavors. 在冷饮店。你知道,就是那家有101种风味的冷饮店。
MR.IKZAD: The Ice Cream Parlor?Do you mean the one which is near your father's bank at the Fair ? 冷饮店?你说的是不是你爸爸工作的那个世界博览会银行附近的那家?
ALI: Yes, that's the one. Jimmy's birthday party was there, and the party that he had was great.对,就是那家。吉米的生日宴会就是在那儿开的。而且那次宴会开得特别好。
                                             
LESSON 2
[MRS.NIkzad enters.][尼克撒德先生进来]
MRS. NIKZAD: Hello, dear. How was your day?亲爱的,你好,今天过的怎么样?
MR.NIKZAD :   Hello, Zahra. Hi, Son. I'm such a good mood that I feel like celebrating. Let's go out to dinner tonight. 你好,赞哈拉。嘿,儿子,我今天特别高兴(情绪很好)。我想庆祝一下,我们去外边吃晚饭吧。
ALI: whoopee !噢……
MRS. NmZAO: Ali has something to ask you.埃利有事要问你。
MR. NmZAO: What is it, Ali?什么事,埃利?
ALI:   Father, may I please have a birthday party?爸爸,给我开个生日宴会好吗?
MR. Nmzno: Of course, Ali. Why not?当然可以,埃利,这有什么不行呢?
ALI: Thanks, Daddy. [Ali hugs his father. ]谢谢爸爸。[埃利搂住爸爸]
MR. NmZAD: What kind of party do you want, Ali?埃利,你想开个什么样的宴会呢?
ALI: An ice cream party!冰激凌宴会。
MR. NmZAO: IS that what you want?Wouldn't you like to go to a baseball game instead?就想开个这样的宴会?你不想去看场棒球比赛?
ALI: Daddy, this is much better/ You eat lots and lots of ice cream. They put it in a big bowl. And then, when you've eaten so much ice cream that you can't eat any more, you eat some more anyway. 爸爸,就这个宴会最好啦!你可以吃好多好多冰激凌。他们把冰激凌放在大碗里,这样,当你吃得一点也不想再吃时,也只得强迫自己再多吃点。
MR.NIKZAO: It sounds terrible.听起来真可怕。
MRS.NIKAD: I guess it sounds wonderful to kids. What do you think, dear?我看这对孩子来说倒不错,你说呢?亲爱的?
MR.NIKZAD: Okay, Ali. It's a deal. 好吧,埃利,就这样定了。
ALI: Oh, boy!噢,真的!
[此贴被竹影无风在2004-05-14 18:44重新编辑]
        风来疏竹,风过而竹不留声;
                   雁渡寒潭,雁去而潭不留影。
描述
快速回复

按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交