ALI: Wow, a mitt! 哇, 一副棒球手套!
HUSSEIN: Here's a note. I'll read it to you. 这里有一张纸条, 我念给你听.
HUSSEIN: Dear Ali, You don't know me, but my father says you're an okay kid, and you want to learn to play baseball. 亲爱的阿里, 你不认识我, 但我爸爸说你是个很好的孩子, 还说你想学打棒球.
HUSSEIN: OK., I'll teach you. Happy birthday. Bill, PS I wish I could have come to your party. 好, 我教你. 祝你生日快乐. 小比尔, 附记: 真希望能够参加你的派对.
ALI: wow! I wish we had invited everybody in the world! 哇! 我真希望我们能邀请全世界的每个人.
MICHAEL: Do you like it? 喜不喜欢?
PEDRO: It's brilliant! 出类拔萃!
MICHAEL: I hope the judges think so. 但愿评审们也这样认为.
PEDRO: I hate to tell you, but I heard through a friend of a friend that Leo van der Zee is entering the competition. 我不太想告诉你, 但是, 我一个朋友的朋友说利欧·泛·德·西要参加比赛.
MICHAEL: I wish you hadn't told me. 但愿你没跟我说.
PEDRO: Oh, come on. Your painting is great. 别这样子嘛! 你的画非常好.
MICHAEL: Sure, but van der Zee is a fine painter, 画是不错, 但是泛·德·西是一个很出色的画家,
MICHAEL: and he's much better known than I. 而且他比我出名得多.
PEDRO: So what? 那又怎么样?
MICHAEL: I guess you're right. But I wish I knew if I was wasting my time. 你大概说得对, 我只是想知道我是不是浪费时间.
PEDRO: If you knew what the future was going to be like, life would be boring. 人要是知道将来会怎么样, 人生会显得太无聊.
MICHAEL: I didn't know that you had become a philosopher. 我还不知道你已经变成一个哲学家了.
PEDRO: And I had forgotten that you could be such a pain in the neck. 而我都忘了你是个令人头痛的家伙.
MICHAEL: You're right. I'm sorry. I'm driving everyone crazy. 你说得对. 很抱歉, 我令大家都无耐,
MICHAEL: Let's change the subject. 我们换一个话题吧!
MICHAEL: Do you have and more bad news? 你还有没有坏消息?
PEDRO: No. That's all for today. 没有了. 今天就是这么多.
PEDRO: Miguel called Marta from Colombia. He loves her. He misses her. 米盖尔从哥伦比亚打电话给玛它. 他爱她, 想念她,
PEDRO: He thinks about her every minute, 时时刻刻都在想她,
PEDRO: and he can't live without her. He says. 没有她, 他就不能活下去. 他说
MICHAEL: He's a nice guy. 他人很好.
PEDRO: He's young and inexperienced. If he knew what I know... 他年轻而缺乏经验, 他要是懂得我懂的...
MICHAEL: He'd be cynical, old, and unhappy, like you. 他愤世嫉俗, 苍老 而不快乐. 就会像你一样
MICHAEL: Leave him alone. 不要干涉他,
MICHAEL: If you could find a girl like Marta, you'd be a lucky man. 你如果有本事找到一个女孩子像玛它那样, 你就会是个幸运的男人.
PEDRO: That may be. In any case, he wishes you the best of luck in the competition. 或许如此. 不管怎么样, 他祝你比赛得胜.
MICHAEL: Thank him for me if you get a chance. 有机会的话, 代我谢谢他.
MICHAEL: By the way, why are you so dressed up today? 对了, 你今天怎么打扮得这么漂亮?
MICHAEL: It couldn't be just for the unveiling of my painting. 不会是专为了参加我这幅画的揭幕典礼吧!
PEDRO: Very funny. Actually, I had an interview at a photographic supply house. 真好笑, 其实, 我今天是去一家摄影器材公司面试.
MICHAEL: I'm impressed. 有作为, 有作为.
PEDRO: They want me to be the assistant manager of their camera department? 他们要我担任相机部的助理经理.
MICHAEL: You? In a nine to five job? I can't believe it. Pedro in a jacket an tie? I never thought I'd live to see the day. 你? 每天九点到五点上班? 难以置信. 佩德罗竟然穿西装打领带! 我还以为一辈子都见不到这么一天.
PEDRO: Hey, give me a break! 嘿, 少揶揄了!
MICHAEL: Pedro, I think it's great. Congratulations. 佩德罗, 这是大好的消息, 恭喜你了.
PEDRO: Thanks. I guess. 谢谢你, 我想我该这么说.
MICHAEL: You don't seem very happy about it. 你好像对这件事不太高兴.
PEDRO: I have to get used to the idea. 我还没进入状况.
LAURA: Hello, Bill. 哈罗, 比尔.
BILL: How are you, Laura? 罗拉, 你好吗?
BILL: Have you found a job yet? 找到工作没有?
CUSTOMER: Do you have vanilla cones? 有没有香草甜筒?
BILL: Certainly. Here you are. Now, where were we? Oh, yes. 当然有的, 这就是. 我们刚刚谈到哪里了? 噢, 对了,
BILL: I asked if you had found a job yet. 我问你有没有找到工作.
LAURA: No, not yet, but I've been doing a lot of thinking. 没, 还没有, 不过我最近想了很多.
BILL: Well, you know Paulo Farias, the nice-looking young man at the Brazilian Pavilion? 嗯, 你认识保罗·法瑞斯? 就是在巴西馆工作, 仪容很讨人喜欢的那位青年.
LAURA: Yes, I remember him. 认识, 我记得他.
BILL: I told him that you had resigned. 我已经告诉他说你辞职了.
LAURA: You did? 真的?
BILL: And that you were looking for a new position. 我还告诉他说你要找新的职位.
LAURA: What did he say? 他怎么说?
BILL: He said that he remembered you. 他说他记得你.
LAURA: That's nice, What else did he say? 那好, 他还说什么?
BILL: He said he was looking for a secretary. But he also said he didn't think he could hire you. 他说他正在找秘书, 可是他也说大概不能雇用你.
LAURA: Oh, why? 噢, 为什么?
BILL: Because he does a lot of work with Mr. Crawford's office. 因为他跟郭佛先生的公司经常有生意来往.
LAURA: Yes, of course. Oh, well, thanks for trying. 对了, 那当然. 噢! 谢谢你帮我打听.
BILL: Wait, don't give up yet. 慢点, 别那么快放弃希望,
BILL: He said he might be able to find you a job in another department. 他说他可能在别的部门帮你找个工作.
LAURA: Oh, Bill. You're wonderful. Thank you. 比尔, 你真好, 谢谢你.
LAURA: You should open up an employment agency. 你应该开一家职业介绍所才对.
BILL: That's what my wife says. That reminds me, 我太太也这样说. 这倒提醒了我,
BILL: she asked me to pick up a few things on the way home. 她叫我在回家的路上买些东西.
LAURA: Does your wife work, too? 你太太也上班吗?
BILL: Yes, she's a florist. 是, 她在鲜花店做事.
LAURA: Does she like it? 她喜不喜欢?
BILL: Yes, she was saying just last night that she had never enjoyed a job more. 喜欢. 她昨天晚上才说从来没有那么喜欢过一份工作.
BILL: So now, what are we going to do about you? You said that you had been doing a lot of thinking. 好了, 你的事怎么办? 你说你最近想了很多.
LAURA: Yes, I was thinking that maybe I needed a change. 对, 我在想或许我需要换别种工作.
BILL: Have you ever thought about being a tour guide? 你以前有没有考虑过当导游?
LAURA: A tour guide? 导游?
BILL: Someone told me that he had heard that they needed another Spanish-English tour guide. Even though they haven't announced the opening yet, I'd apply now. 有人告诉我他听说他们需要再请一位会讲西班牙语和英语的导游. 这个空缺虽然还没公布, 可是最好现在就申请.
LAURA: Maybe I should. You really are a sweetheart. 也许我应该去申请, 你真是个古道热肠的好人.
BILL: Good luck. 祝你幸运.
JOANA: There's quite a crowd here. 这里人很多.
MICHAEL: Everybody in the art world is here. Artists, critics, collectors, everybody. I want to go home. There's Leo van der Zee! 艺术界所有的人都来了, 艺术家、 评论家、 收藏家, 谁都来了. 我想回家了, 那边那个是利欧·泛·德·西.
PEDRO: Which painting is his? 哪一幅是他的画?
MICHAEL: The large one to the left of mine. 在我的画左边,
MICHAEL: It's very good. Very good. 很大的那幅, 画得很好, 非常好.
JOANA: I don't like it. 我不喜欢.
MICHAEL: I would be proud to say that I had done it. 我如果能够说是我画的, 我会很骄傲.
PEDRO: I don't like it, either. 我也不喜欢.
MICHAEL: Ssh, There's Paulo. Did anyone tell him that I entered the competition under another name? 嘘, 保罗在哪里了, 有没有人告诉他我用别人的名字参加?
JOANA: I don't know. But even if he had found out, he certainly wouldn't have told me. Paulo can be very discreet. 我不晓得. 不过, 就算他发现, 也绝对不会跟我说, 保罗说话很谨慎.
PAULO: Ladies an gentlemen... 各位先生女士...
MICHAEL: Why doesn't he get on with it? 为什么他不说下去?
JOANA: Be patient, Michael. 麦可, 要有耐心.
PEDRO: ... The Brazilian Pavilion has been pleased and honored to have as judges persons of such distinction that... ... 巴西馆能够请到这么出名的几位评审, 感到非常的高兴和荣幸. 因此...
MICHAEL: If I had known there were going to be a lot of speeches, I would have come later. 早知道会有那么多演讲的话, 我宁可到得晚点.
JOANA: It'll all be over soon, Michael. 麦可, 很快就会结束的.
PAULO: The judges, as you can imagine, had a very difficult time choosing a winner. The quality of the paintings.... 评审 各位可想而知, 在选择优胜者时所感到的困难, 作品的水准...
MICHAEL: Paulo, shut up. Or say something original. Say something like, 保罗闭嘴, 要不然说一点新鲜的话, 譬如说一句类似
MICHAEL: "Most of the paintings were garbage." 「大多数的作品像垃圾」 的话.
PAULO: And if I had been one of the judges, I don't think I could have come to any decision at all; but, fortunately... 如果我是评审之一, 我想我根本没有办法决定; 不过, 幸好...
MICHAEL: I've got to step outside. I need some fresh air. 我必须出去走走, 我要呼吸一点新鲜的空气.
JOANA: Don't leave now, Michael, they're... 麦可你现在不要走, 他们就要...
MICHAEL: I've got to. I'm too nervous. 我不能不出去, 我太紧张了.
ALI: Hello, Are you an artist? 你好. 你是不是艺术家?
MICHAEL: I don't know. 我不晓得,
MICHAEL: The judges are making up their minds. 评审正在下决定.
MICHAEL: Watch it, your ice cream is dripping. 小心, 你的冰淇淋正在滴下来.
ALI: Thanks. 谢谢.
ALI: Speeches are really boring, aren't they? 演讲真无聊, 对不对?
MICHAEL: You can say that again. That ice cream looks good. 可不是吗? 那个冰淇淋看起来很好吃,
MICHAEL: Where did you get it? 你是在哪里买的?
ALI: Here, Have a bite. 来, 吃一口.
MICHAEL: Uh... 嗯...
ALI: Go ahead. I don't mind. 吃嘛! 我不介意.
JOANA: Michael, quick! They're about to announce the winner. 麦可快一点, 他们就要宣布得胜名单了.
MICHAEL: Excuse me. Thanks for the offer. 对不起, 我有事. 谢谢你的好意.
ALI: Sure. 不谢.
PAULO: ... And now it is my pleasure to announce the winner. For personal reasons, the artist chose to enter the competition under another name... 现在我十分荣幸地宣布优胜者, 由于私人的理由, 这位艺术家决定用另外一个名字参加比赛...
JOANA: It's you! You won! I can't believe... 是你! 你赢了! 我不能相信...
MICHAEL: It could be someone else, too. 也可能是别的人.
PAULO: ... But whatever his name, there can be no doubt that he is a master. The world can expect great things from his brush... 但是不管他叫什么名字, 他是一位艺术大师是无可置疑的. 世人可期望从他的画笔下看到许多伟大的作品...
MICHAEL: Enough. Enough. 够了, 够了.
PAULO: The winner, Pedro Ortega. I hope he is here. 第一名, 佩德罗·欧特迦, 希望他在场.
JOANA: I'm so happy. I don't know what I would have done if Paulo had said some other name. 我多么高兴, 如果保罗宣布另外一个人的名字, 我不知道我会怎么样.
ALI: I was talking to that man. 我刚刚跟那个人说过话.
MRS.NIKZAD: He's a great painter. 他是个画家.
ALI: He likes ice cream, too. 而且他也喜欢冰淇淋.
: THE WORLD'S FAIR NEWSLETTER VOLUME 2 NO. 1 万国博览会二卷一期
: A BIRTHDAY AT THE FAIR by Henry leeds 博览会上的一个生日派对 亨利·利德斯着
: Today was an important day at the Fair. 今天在万博会是很重要的一天.
: A guy is seven only once and Ali Nikzad made the most of it. 每个人只能过一次七岁, 而阿里·尼克萨德今天藉此机会尽情地享受一番,
: What is closer to a boy's heart than ice cream and baseball? 除了棒球和冰淇淋以外, 还有什么东西更讨小男孩喜欢?
: Nothing. And so, at Ali's birthday party there was plenty of ice cream and lost of baseball equipment 一个都没有. 因此, 在阿里的生日派对上, 有吃不完的冰淇淋和一大堆棒球器具.
: Ali, the son of Mr. Simon Nikzad, a vice-president of the International Bank, has always loved the Fair and spends all his free time here. 阿里是国际银行副理塞门·尼克萨德先生的儿子, 他一向都非常喜欢我们万博会, 把空闲的时间全部花在这里.
: He is an independent guy and insists on exploring the world by himself. 他有很独立的个性, 而且坚持一个人去探究世界.
: Ali told this reporter that he'd been dreaming of his birthday for weeks. 阿里向本刊记者表示, 他梦想这一天已经好几个星期了.
: Had his birthday been everything he could have hoped for? 问及他生日所希望的是否都能实现时,
: Absolutely. 他答覆说全部实现了.
: Had he been given everything his heart desired? Definitely. 问及他是否得到心里想得到的一切时, 他回答说都得到.
: And what about friends? They were all there. 而他的朋友呢? 他们都来了.
: One of Ali's best friends, Mr. Bill O'Neill, an ice cream vendor here at the Fair, was at the big party. 阿里最好的朋友之一, 万博会冰淇淋摊贩比尔·欧尼尔参加了这次盛大聚会.
: So was Mr. Kenji Yamamoto, whose well-known vegetable market is near the Fair. 还有万博会附近一家出名果菜店的店主山本先生.
: Naturally Mr. and Mrs. Nikzad were there, and so was Hussein, Ali's older brother. 当然, 尼克萨德先生和尼克萨德太太也来了, 阿里的哥哥赫仙也在,
: Some of Ali's classmates were there, too, but no girls. 阿里的一些同学也参加了, 但是没有女孩子.
: When I asked Ali about this, he said, "I don't know anything about girls yet, but I am going to learn about them this year." 记者问及这点时, 阿里说:「我对任何事关女孩子的事还不明了; 不过今年我将要去了解她们.」
: Position Available 诚徵人才
: The World's Fair, Inc. is seeking a bilingual (Span.-Eng.) tour guide, male or female, 万国博览会股份有限公司诚徵双语(西班牙语及英语) 导游一名, 男女不拘,
: to conduct visitors through the major exhibition halls and Pavilions. 负责向导来宾参观各主要陈列大楼与各馆.
: This individual should be energetic, enthusiastic, and enjoy meeting and working with new people. 应徵者应具备下列条件: 热心、有活力、喜欢接触与帮助人;
: In addition, the applicant must be mature, tactful, and poised. 此外须成熟、机智、维持良好的风度.
: Above all, a tour guide must be self-reliant and able to think on his/her feet. 最重要的是, 必须能自恃, 即采决定的能力.
: Tour guides must be in excellent health and be fluently bilingual. 应徵者须身体健康, 能操流利的英语和西班牙两种语言.
: Applicants who have had previous experience in group management are preferred. 应徵者以具团体管理经验为佳.
: The salary is $200 pre wk. including full benefits and vacation. 周薪两百美元, 包括全部福利及假期.
: Please submit all inquiries, together with resumes and letters of reference, to: 意者请附简历表与介绍信寄到:
: Ms. Lucille Green, Asst. Dir., Personnel World's Fair, Inc. PO Box 1549-WFP Flushing, Queens, NY. 纽约市皇后区法拉盛里邮政信箱 1549-WFP 万国博览会股份有限公司人事处副主任露西尔·格林女士收
: Dear Michael, 亲爱的麦克:
: I'm sure you thought you'd never hear from me again. 我想你一定以为永远不会有我的音信了,
: But, quite by chance, I read of your triumph in the newspapers here. 但是我恰好从这里的报纸得悉你的胜利,
: For an instant I wished the things had happened differently and that I could have been there to witness my brother's victory. 一刹那间我恨不能改变过去的一切, 而我可以目睹你的胜利,
: I'm glad you made it. 我很高兴你成功了.
: I am not going to apologize for leaving as I did. 我不打算因为那样离开而道歉.
: And, knowing you, you probably wouldn't ask me to. 而且我了解你, 你也不会要求我道歉.
: Nevertheless, I wanted you to know that I think about you. 无论如何, 我想告诉你我常常想你,
: I hope one day we can sit down together and talk about all those things that were on our minds, but remained unspoken. 我希望有一天我们可以在一起畅谈许多在心里想而没说出口的话.
: In the meantime, I would like to ask you to do me one favor. 同时, 我有一件事想麻烦你一下,
: Tell Mother I am married, that she is a grandmother, and that for first time in many years, I am happy. 请你告诉妈我已经结婚了, 她也当了祖母, 而且那是我很多年以来第一次感到很快慰.
: As you see, there is no return address on this letter, but I will write again, sooner. 你也看到了, 信上没有我的地址, 但我会很快再来信的.
: Your brother, 兄
: Gary 贾瑞